platy not eating?? why??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kissez_61

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 20 gallon tropical tank, its been running 3 months and is fully cycled. I have 2 Blue Groumies, 4 Corys and just got 2 Platys. I have had them in the tank for two days now and the one will not eat the flake food(tetramin tropical mix)it's interested in food just dosn't end up eating it. I'v been doing reading on them and they say to feed them live foods like bbs ect and plant based foods. Will they not be ok on flake food? And would fresh veggies be better? If so what and how should I give it to them? My readings in my tank are Ammonia 0,ph 7 NitrAte 20ppm,Nirite 0. Any ideas? They dont look sick ,no strage poop,fuzz wite spots ect. I know quite a bit about fresh coldwater fish( I have a goldie tank ) but just got into tropical; so i do know some things, the just of tropicals and cold water are the same. Im very proud of my goldie tank its a 29 gallon,with one fantail goldie and 2 weather loaches. How can I post a pic of my platy that isn't eating?

they will be ok on flake food if they eat it, however some fish are picky eaters and you may want to go to your lfs and buy some live food, or frozen food. My platys go mad for frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp so give that a try for now to make sure your platy doesnt starve. You can try them again on flakes in the future and see if they will take it then. if not, frozen food, algae, live plants and shelled frozen peas will all be a good diet for your platys.

well mate i just got to platty's myself and they are eating fine, first to the food infact, and its also flakes, so i think kissez is right you just have a picky eater!

:unsure: ohh well, I have bbs eggs I just havn't masterd harvesting them yet. they hatch fine but how long dose it take for them to get big enuff so they will eat them?

They will eat them newly hatched. They look like orange specks of dust, but to something small like a platy they look much larger. Been hatching a new batch of bbs every 24 hours for some angel fry, and give the ones that are left to my platys and juvie angels. They go totally nuts feeding on them. Larger angels totally ignore them, too small to be worth their time I guess.

Tolak

ok, my bettas dont even notice them in the tank so i figured it would be the same but ill try :D i fed them peas today but he picked at it but never took a bite out of one.(i de shelled them and everything :( picky fish. maby he is eating when i go out of the room because iv had him for a few days mow and hanvt seen him eat, and he looks fine perky and everything. :dunno:

my platies eat just abaout all the time. they graze on my plants, pick through the gravel for the stuff that got missed, eat algea off rocks. and then they are always the first ones up to the top when i feed. i have to put blood worms in one end to get them away so i can feed the rest of the fish blood worms on the other end. most likely your platie is eating, just not with you watching.

he must be . its been about 5 days now and i havnt seen him eat and he looks just as good as when i got him

Most reactions

Back