Platy In Labor With Red Ball Hanging Out?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I have this platy who this morning had a little yellow tail sticking out of her this morning! So i put her in the breeding trap and she had 2 fry, but she now has this red ball hanging out of her and I'm really worried... She hasn't had any more fry and I can see the frys eyes in the gravid spot and she's still fat, there must be more fry inside her.

I don't know what to do! Try to push it back in? leave her? She hasn't had any more fry for about 2 hours now (since this red thing appeared) She can poop fine, but I think this red ball is blocking the fry's way out I think!

179.jpg

It's not my platy either, it's my 8 year old sisters! She's at school and I wanted her to come home to loads of little fry, not a dead one full of dead fry, HELP! :sad:

This does sound like a serious predicament.

I don't really know what to do, but if it were me, I'd catch the platy and hold her in my hands and with tweezer VERY GENTLY pull out the fry.

Worst case scenario is the fry dies, or the platy and all the rest of the fry die.

This could possibly be prolapse (the uterus partially coming detached and hanging out). I've had this with one guppy and it did slowly pull itself back in. You might want to google that and see if it fits.

Poor thing.
Does the red ball look like a ball or worms, intestines?
What colour is her waste when she goes to the toilet?

Prolapse of the intestines fish don't always survive.
You can pop the intestines back in but it can cause a bacterial infection.

Thanks for the replies guys, thankfully the red ball has dissapeared... Unfortunately though 99% of the fry are either deformed or just little yellow eggs :sad:

So sorry.
Keep a look out for when she goes to the toilet.
How is the fish now? Does she look stressed?

She's fine now, and pooping normally, thanks :nod:

That's good to hear.
Feed her some garden peas aswell.

Causes of a prolapse can be constipation, fry are growing to big inside the fish, bacterial, internal parasites.

Thank you for the update.

One of female guppies has one of those red cords hanging out, but no bulge or lump, is this the same problem any advice would be greatful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back