Platy Hiding In Bottom/corner Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

iroc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
She seems to come out to eat, but then retreats right back to the plants and basicly doesn't swim much, I just had a platy give birth ( they were all eaten by the other fish right away) so I donno what might be wrong with her if anything at all.....

Any ideas?

hi,
is she pregnant? hiding can mean shes about to give birth, if shes eating thats a good sign, i would not worry about her. :)

Is it similar behaviour to your last pregnant platy? Sounds like shes hiding and waiting for her babies to be born, a breeding net or unit would be a good investment right now if u wanna keep them or they will probably end up going the same way as the others! :(

Is it similar behaviour to your last pregnant platy? Sounds like shes hiding and waiting for her babies to be born, a breeding net or unit would be a good investment right now if u wanna keep them or they will probably end up going the same way as the others! :(

The last one that was pregnat didn't do this, I did have a sick one but she wasn't eating and then when i put her in a different tank she died like 4 hours later, this one seem healthy she is just hiding, but yea maybe she is pregnat

The last one that was pregnat didn't do this, I did have a sick one but she wasn't eating and then when i put her in a different tank she died like 4 hours later, this one seem healthy she is just hiding, but yea maybe she is pregnat

Can you see a gravid patch on her? What is her weight like?

she isn't that big, but then again the biggest one wasn't the one that gave birth, I bought some live plants today and she came out of the corner long enough for me to plant the live plants but then went right back, she is basicly just hiding out in the plants???????????

she isn't that big, but then again the biggest one wasn't the one that gave birth, I bought some live plants today and she came out of the corner long enough for me to plant the live plants but then went right back, she is basicly just hiding out in the plants???????????

She could be sick, is her poop white/stringy at all? How is she eating? Does she appear to be gasping at all? I would test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post the stats here.

Sounds like she's ready to drop my platie was'nt that big but once she did that i knew it was just a matter of time before she gave birth.

She could be sick, is her poop white/stringy at all? How is she eating? Does she appear to be gasping at all? I would test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post the stats here.

Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is .02
Nitrate is .20

I got some live plants yesterday and I am hoping they help get rid of the end of the nitrite levels, today she seems to be back to swimming around yesterday the strangest thing happened though, the tetras were swarming around her, it is possible she gave brith last night and all the fry got eating like last time, I really don't want anymore platies so in a way it's good and the way I figure it is natures law playing out, maybe after I get this tank completely cycled I will get a smaller tank for one the platies look or act pregnat and I will move them to there so I can keep the fry, if for nothing else I'm sure the lfs would give me a trade for some fish??????

yep looks like you had your answer then! at least you'll recognise her behaviour next time if you do decide to keep the fry next time, bless em! xx

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back