Platy has a lump and looks rough

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Chris king

Reaction score
Hi there iv just noticed one of my platys has a lump behind itā€™s eye and looks rough possible start of pineconing? Iā€™ve attached a photo just wanted some opinions on what is wrong and what I should do . Iā€™m away for 3 days now so im Just worried whateverā€™s wrong will affect the other fish in the tank (all platys and mollys)
Tank levels

Ph 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40Ppm

Temp 25.7 C

All other fish look and seem fine to me
Tank is a 200l has been set up for 8 months and is fully cycled no other issues before this,
Filter is a Fluval 306.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 88BF1114-7226-4890-AF94-9BCB63CAF54F.jpeg
    88BF1114-7226-4890-AF94-9BCB63CAF54F.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 217
The fish possibly has gill flukes and intestinal worms.

I can't see the lump on its eye. If you can post another picture it might help.

Your nitrates are a bit high. Check the nitrate level in your tap water and do more water changes on the tank.

---------------------------
You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

Thanks Colin , the bump /lump is just behind the eye in the photo
Cheers

The fish possibly has gill flukes and intestinal worms.

I can't see the lump on its eye. If you can post another picture it might help.

Your nitrates are a bit high. Check the nitrate level in your tap water and do more water changes on the tank.

---------------------------
You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back