Platy Giving Birth Right Now!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my platy is giving birth right now, didnt notice how long its been goin on for but the fry seem top be active, when should i remove her (mummy)from the hatchery??? i dont want her to eat them all

thanks youu

Platy's by nature won't eat anything for about 12 hours after dropping their fry so it should be safe to leave her in there over night to ensure that she is done dropping.
If you aren't comfortable with that and don't want to loose fry (As some mummies will eat their fry regardless of the fact that they aren't hungry) than wait until she has dropped the number you want (Or until you think she has dropped enough) and then put her back with the other fish, any other fry she may drop will be eaten but those that are in the hatchery will be safe.

when i seen her she had dropped 8 in the hatchery...watched her for half hour and there was no more so put her back in normal tank....just checked on them all,, found a couple of fry in the tank managed to save 1 so have 9 in hatchery now, im sure theres more though lets just hope they find a good hiding spot

I remove mine gently (such as in a cup of water rather than in a net) when I am happy with the number of babies or think she is done.

well next day and have a total of 9 fry, all seem to be doing well.havnt seen any around the tank but will keep an eye out as its well planted so lots of hiding spaces......when should i put the fry in there own tank..i have an empty 25 litre set up for them

Do you have a cycled filter to run in that tank? If yes, then I'd prepare it and move them right in.

I don't have another cycled filter but in the 25l I have a small air powered filter so could I add that to my 80l? or maybe add the foam from air powered filter to my cycled one?? or any other way of getting it done quickly?

Your fry won't have much of a bioload for now... can you split some mature media and put some in the air powered filter? (Assuming you have a heater for the smaller tank as well).

Yes I have a heater in there, I will try to separate some without causing too much damage, only need a small bit, if I can get the air powered media in my cycled external, how long should I leave it in before it gets cycled?

hi khial hope this isn't too late, but my LFS gut suggested a couple of weeks. I had to replace my filter and he suggested leaving the old filter's sponge held in between the new filter and the tank side for a couple of weeks. Seems to have worked as my fish survived and the water quality remained good once I removed the old sponge.

khial said:
i dont want her to eat them all

Just remember that in nature, the vast majority of platy fry will be eaten long before maturity. She will drop 30+ fry every 4-6 weeks. She will continue to do so for up to 6 months after her last, ahem, contact, with a male. So will any other females you may have.

You will find that platy fry are fairly difficult to rehome. A lot of LFSs won't take them because they buy from their normal trusted wholesalers for less than £1 each. Why would they then take yours when they don't know whether they are introducing disease to their systems? Some people use Gumtree, but you'll find that supply far outstrips demand.

If you save every fry you can, you will very soon be overrun with fry, your filters will be overloaded, and that could lead to health problems for the adult fish (of all species) in your aquarium.

I often give this advice to people, and they often respond with "Oh, I couldn't possibly let them be eaten." That's the problem with us humans, we are naturally disposed to care for our offspring. Platies aren't, so instead they produce gazillions, it's just the way they've evolved. Survival of the fittest, and all that.

Sometimes, letting Mother Nature have her own way works out for the best.

Hi, thanks for all your replies, I completely understand what you mean by being over run. she was one of the first fish in the tank and our first ever fish to have fry so we thought we would keep them, as we have plenty of room for them and also a few friends/family that have a few off us, i think though after this we will just leave her in the main tank and as you say, let nature take its course, i dont mind if a couple make it but i dont want to be buying 100 tanks because she cant keep her "fins" closed...sorry terrible joke i know...

khial said:
because she cant keep her "fins" closed

LOL!

If your tank is well planted, the more fry will survive. When I kept platies, I never even saw a fry, but had quite a sparsely planted tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back