Platy fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 30 platy fry in a 5 gallon aquarium and they are with a snail. I was wondering if their some kind of fish or crustacean that could eat the flakes that fall to the bottom. But i want it to be peacefull and not eat the fry. I was thinking amani shrimp but they might eat the fry. Any suggestions?

I have 9 guppy fry in a shrimp tank for over a week and so far the shrimp have left them alone. When I read up on shrimp the sites indicated that shrimp do not go after any fry but I did see a video of a ghost shrimp eating a fry. You could try cory catfish instead.

The minimum tank size for cories is 10 gal and I think 20, and they need to be kept in groups, I experimented once with putting 2 in a 5 gal and they wither away slowly, but luckily I put them into my bigger planted tank.

I would not worry to much about having to have something to clean the tank. Just be careful how much you feed the fry-small amount 2-3 times a day or so. You can still vacuum the tank if you are careful. I do it with my shrimp/guppy tank with 9 fry.

I have 30 platy fry in a 5 gallon aquarium and they are with a snail. I was wondering if their some kind of fish or crustacean that could eat the flakes that fall to the bottom. But i want it to be peacefull and not eat the fry. I was thinking amani shrimp but they might eat the fry. Any suggestions?
You should get a smaller type of shrimp just be safe, such as red cherry shrimp, blue velvet shrimp or yellow shrimp etc.

If there is uneaten food on the bottom of the tank, siphon it out. Airline tubing can be used in a tank with fry. To start the siphon just fill it with water at the tap, carry it to the tank then with a finger over each end, lower one end in the tank, the other into a bucket then take your fingers off the ends. Air line tubing sucks water and debris out slowly so the fry don't get sucked up.
Or use a turkey baster to remove the food.

I do both of those already i was just wondering if their was an alternative but thanks for the feedback.

If there is uneaten food on the bottom of the tank, siphon it out. Airline tubing can be used in a tank with fry. To start the siphon just fill it with water at the tap, carry it to the tank then with a finger over each end, lower one end in the tank, the other into a bucket then take your fingers off the ends. Air line tubing sucks water and debris out slowly so the fry don't get sucked up.
Or use a turkey baster to remove the food.
I always use a turkey blaster hen my fry are small. I keep a bare bottom and super easy to syphon our with the baster.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back