Platy Fry Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta_Shark5678

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

I don't have any fry right now, but I'm planning on selectively breeding platys, so I'm trying to get every thing sort out before I end up with fry.  

1. It is a selective breeding project, but I only have three tanks, so I need to figure out where I'm going to move my fish around to.  I might be able to get another 5 gallon but that's most likely it!
  I have a 55 gallon, that has all my platys right now, a 6.6 gallon with a male betta, and a 10 gallon with a male betta.  Could I divide the 6.6 gallon for my two bettas, then divide the 10 gallon for 2 male platys, and fry, then a 5 gallon for 2 male platys?  The most males I'll have at once is 4.  I realize that I'll have to find a way to breed the male and female I want that doesn't involve being in the same tank, but that'll come later, since for now I only have one male.

2. I'll be leaving for two weeks this summer, and while I'll have somebody taking care of my fish I don't think that they'll be willing to hatch the baby brine shrimp, and feed the newer fry.  Should I just not keep any new fry for the two weeks, or more, before I leave?  Would something like this be worth getting http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-Hatch-N-Feed-Brine-Shrimp-Eggs-Hatchery-Aquarium-/190808921502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6d19159e at least for those two weeks?

3. I know this is a touchy subject, but I can't keep or rehome all the fry, what should I do with the ones I don't want?  My Mom wants me to put them in a pool for her ducks, but it seems cruel to put them in a dirty pool that is a lot colder than their tank.  Would putting them in my big tank and just seeing what happens be the best option?

Thanks! :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could do most of the options above but don't forget fry need time to grow up . And putting them in a cold pond even if just to feed the ducks they will die right away I would think as it will be a huge shock to their lil systems. For others feeding your babies for 2 weeks u could pulverize brin shrimp and flake food show care taker to wet end of tooth pick place in powder food and dip it into tank. Easiest way to feed the babies for someone that's just fishy sitting. Also if u could call LFS's to see if they will buy or give store credit for ur extra babies. I'm new to my fish as well but learning a lot from these forums. Good luck hope u get some answers to your questions

Thanks.  I suppose putting them in the duck pond would be similar to freezing them.  

My "fish sitter" has fish of her own, so she should catch on to that feeding fairly quickly, I hope, but she's only had a Betta that she feeds pellets to so who knows.

The only problem with contacting my LFS's is that there's only one that takes fish in my area that I know of, and I'm not sure they'd buy them from me, or give me store credits.  I know that my Mom tried selling them some small animals a while ago, and they told her they'd take them, but wouldn't give her any money or store credit.

Keeping platy fry in 5g space is not enough, unless you'll just keep a few fry in it.  They get too big too quickly and you'll have issues with water quality in such a small space.

The best way is having a female tank only and a male tank only. Then a third tank in which you can put the selected pair to mate, then remove the male and wait till the female gives birth. Remove her too once she gives birth and raise the fry in that tank. Then sort them once they grow between male/female tanks and give away what you don't want.

Maybe you can divide the 55G into two and keep the males on one side and females on the other. The reason being that from the fry you'll get both sexes, so you'll need a bigger place for males eventually although you don't have many now.

I didn't think about dividing my 55 gallon, though that does seem like a good option.  I'd have to separate my other fish, too in that case.  So Tetras would all go on one side, probably 1 bolivian ram on each side, and a BN pleco on each side?  Or 5 tetras, 1 ram, and 1 BN on each side in the 55 gallon?  Then I'd divide the 6.6 gallon for Bettas, and use the 10 as a breeding/fry raising tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back