Platy food guarding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Skeptical_Mutt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have one big green lantern platy we named Ahole(ah-hole-lay) that has been resource guarding the food in the tank and chasing our other two platys around. They're all male, if that makes a difference. Need some advice on how to handle the situation. I've threatened Ahole that he's going to go alone in the 10 gal tank if he doesn't learn to play nice!

Have you tried feeding multiple places in the tank at once? Or feed flake and sinking granules at the same time.

That fish is the dominant platy in the tank and making sure the other platies know it. Do not move him out or you will mess up the pecking order and the next dominant fish will take his place.

Just feed the fish at different ends of the tank.

That fish is the dominant platy in the tank and making sure the other platies know it. Do not move him out or you will mess up the pecking order and the next dominant fish will take his place.

Just feed the fish at different ends of the tank.
Gotta agree with Colin overhere...

When we feed them we drop food on both ends of the tank. The problem is our current pushes it all to one side very quickly. We used freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex cubes, and he always ends up guarding the tubifex cube

Turn the filter off for a couple of minutes while you feed them.
Remember to turn it back on after feeding.

Freeze dried tubifex can be squished against the glass when it's underwater and it stays put.

Turn the filter off for a couple of minutes while you feed them.
Remember to turn it back on after feeding.

Freeze dried tubifex can be squished against the glass when it's underwater and it stays put.
I'll try turning the filter off when we feed them. And yes, we squish the cube against the class about halfway down and Ahole just hangs out with by it and chases all the other fish away if they come near it. Maybe we'll try the bloodworms on either side and the cube in the middle all at the same time. Thanks everyone for the ideas!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back