Platy And Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StarfireGraves

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Uh, so I woke up this morning to find (In my 10 gallon tank) my male platy happily moving through what was my goldfish's  territory. She had been in the tank long before him and was about 3X his size. But it appears he chased her out of the tank, literally. I found her dried on the table where the fish tank is when I woke up. Is this normal? Is there another possible explanation? I leave the light off at night, and my cat stays away from the tank, she doesn't like it for one reason or another. And all my family members were asleep as well. All that was in the tank last night was 2 female platys and the male. My other 2 are currently in my nursery tank as they are close to having their babies. Any information would be helpful.

Hugs and Smiles,
~starfire

Well male Platys like to chase female Platys, they can become quite stressful. Maybe your goldfish jumped out because she was stressed with everything that was going on around her. Maybe the water isn't right for a goldfish? i'm not too sure on this as i haven't got platys yet, ive only ever had goldfish and white cloud mountain minnows. Click THIS for information on Goldfish. i don't know too much about them.

Sorry to hear about you loosing her though :( 

Antoniakr said:
Well male Platys like to chase female Platys, they can become quite stressful. Maybe your goldfish jumped out because she was stressed with everything that was going on around her. Maybe the water isn't right for a goldfish? i'm not too sure on this as i haven't got platys yet, ive only ever had goldfish and white cloud mountain minnows. Click THIS for information on Goldfish. i don't know too much about them.

Sorry to hear about you loosing her though
sad.png
The water is fine. And she actually chased him out of her territory quite often. She didn't like him, and she was bigger. She could have killed him if she wanted. It is a mystery to me.

She might have got fed up with him being in there and decided to jump out :( 

There are three reasons why fish jump out of tanks; stress, poor water, or they're a fish that likes to jump.

What were the numbers from your tests, and what sort of tests are you using, OP?

I'm afraid a ten gallon tank was too small for your goldy anyway, but I'm very sorry for your loss
sad.png

Maybe. It is quite sad to have lost her. I have had her since she was a 1/4in long. She was up to 2 1/2.  I guess now I am just down to platy and shrimp. And hopefully a dwarf plico soon. Maybe a ghost catfish. And I don't have any of the fancy water testing kits. I had Ph tests but I am out right now.  She has never jumped before either, and he has been leaving her alone for the past day or two. 

I was told by my LFS (the people that specialize in the aquatic section) that 3-4 platys is ok for a 10 gallon, but not ideal. ive been told about 500 times on here that it's wrong and if i want happy, healthy fish then i should have at least a 20 Gallon tank... Some people were being quite horrible about it tbh. Maybe your tank is overcrowded. :/

Antoniakr said:
I was told by my LFS (the people that specialize in the aquatic section) that 3-4 platys is ok for a 10 gallon, but not ideal. ive been told about 500 times on here that it's wrong and if i want happy, healthy fish then i should have at least a 20 Gallon tank... Some people were being quite horrible about it tbh. Maybe your tank is overcrowded.
confused.gif
You know, I have herd this over and over, yet my friends have 10 gallon tanks with some of the healthiest and happiest fish I have ever seen. One in particular has 3 sword tails, 2 ghost catfish, and about 6 females and one male platy. All in a 10 gallon tank, they all get along and are very happy.But by most that is over crowded and not good.  She has had them like this for I think 2 years now? Maybe 3. 

i think with ghost cats you need them in groups of 6 just so you know

also get to around 4"

and do not like the aquarium too bright

Stimo said:
i think with ghost cats you need them in groups of 6 just so you know

also get to around 4"

and do not like the aquarium too bright
I didn't know that, the pet store said getting one would be fine.

Most reactions

Back