Platty Problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sunflower

I wanted to rule the world but got distracted by s
Reaction score
Hi all,

I seem to have a bit of a problem with one of my Plattys.

She seems to be eating OK but has lost alot of weight and her gills seem to be red inside. Also, she's less active than usual, generally hanging in the top corner of the tank :(

My water parameters are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0

I thought it might be parasites or gill flukes so I've beentreating with Methylene Blue and have given 3 doses now (4 days apart, as per the pack instructions)

Am I doing the right thing or do you think there may be another problem? :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your fish sunflower. I am not sure what this is but I am sure someone will post soon and help you out. How is the treatment working?

Hi Sunflower

I agree symptons sould like gill problem - See below

gill disease - Bacterial

Fish remain near the surface. Labored breathing. Shimmy. Gills are opened wide, and gill membranes appear very red.

I have never used Methylene Blue I've found this description on the net "Methylene Blue - Disease preventative for fresh and saltwater. Helps reduce risk of fungal infections on eggs and newly hatched fry. Use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Fresh and saltwater safe". It sounds more like a preventative tonic than a medication - Perhaps a medication would work better for her. If you do think it is gill disease perhaps 'Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria No9' would work better, it is for internal bacteria and gill disease. I have used this recently and it worked really well. A little salt helps to make the medication work more efficiently and you redose (with no water change and no extra salt) after 4 days.

If you do go on to use a medication, remember to do a water change (at least 30%, check details with Methylene Blue, to clear out previous tonic)

Sorry to hear she is unwell, :( good luck in sorting her out :D

skimpy said:
Hi Sunflower

gill disease - Bacterial

Fish remain near the surface. Labored breathing. Shimmy. Gills are opened wide, and gill membranes appear very red.

I have never used Methylene Blue I've found this description on the net "Methylene Blue - . Helps reduce risk of fungal infections on eggs and newly hatched fry.

If methyl blue treats fungus then that would exlain why it isn't helping.

pls forgive me if im wrong.

FFM

Fishy Fishy Man said:
skimpy said:
Hi Sunflower

gill disease - Bacterial

I have never used Methylene Blue I've found this description on the net "Methylene Blue - . Helps reduce risk of fungal infections on eggs and newly hatched fry.

If methyl blue treats fungus then that would exlain why it isn't helping.

pls forgive me if im wrong.

FFM

Well, that would explain it except as well as "anti-fungal agent with anticeptic healing properties" the package also says:

"Effective against a variety of parasites including flukes"

and:

"Rapid aid to respiration in cases of distress"

That's why I'm treating with it.

Maybe I'll try the interpret No9. Thanks

Hi sunflower,

Just a note looking into methylene blue further, yes you are right it is also for slime desease, flukes, white spot and velvet (Interpet Methylene blue does don't know about other makes). I did find however that it says it can have a negative effect on both plants and filters. So suggest you keep an eye on your readings, just in case.

If you do use Interpet No 9 it definately does not have any effect on your filter media.

Good luck and let us know how you get along. :D

:cool:

Dunk is looking a little more active now but I've bought some Interpret No9 anyway so after I do a water change tomorrow I'm going to start treating with that.

Then just wait and see I guess.

I don't know Chook. I have some cories but I hear such mixed stories about whether I can use salt or not.

Most reactions

Back