platty mating quetion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paradise_Gourami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a male and a female in a tank and the male is always chasing the female around and trying to mate with the her. Is it normal for this to constantly happen?

yup this will always happen, whats the number of females to males you have, to stop him chasing her all the time increase the number of females in the tank, to give him more mates :p

yes, this is normal, and yes, it will be constant. livebearers are like rabbits, always at it. the male will eventually stress out the female, possibly to the point she could die. best solution, have a ratio of at least 2 females for every 1 male, that way the other female gets rest time while the male chases the other female for a while. :p

I agree with the others on getting another female or two to help with the "randy" male. However, in my experience, sometimes this does not help. I have had a few male Platys that would only pay attention to ONE female, no matter how many there were in the tank. They seem to be more monogomous then some of the others.

I had a Blue Platy male that was in with 4 females, 2 White Mickeys, a Red Wag and an Orange High-fin. He did not like the orange ones at all, but, he didn't like ANY orange fish. It was really funny.......when I dropped in Algea Wafers, he would "guard" one and keep all the orange fish (Swordtail & Platy) away, but let the Green Swords and White Mickeys eat from it with him. He was seriously color biased. :*) BAD FISH!! Even worse, although he allowed both Mickeys around, he only bred with one of them, and payed no interest in the other.

Just info I though you might like. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back