Platies

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aquagurl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D Hi!
I have my platies :fish: for a month and 25 days! They look like they have been pregnant from the very first day! And even if they weren't preggos shouldn't they get pregnant by now? Can I do something to make them breed? Could I do something to make them drop those babies? A little bit of stress maybe? I really want to have little ones :wub: they are so cute and its fun to take care of them!
Are there any other livebearers that are even easier to breed and tell when they are pregggos?
:nod: Thanx in advance!!! ;)

Normally livebearers would have a gravid spot (the feamles) to show if they are pregnant. Are you sure you have both male and female platies because what if they are all male or female? It might be stress, platies (and other fish) don't breed straight away and a month and 25 days is still a bit too short for them to get settled into the tank and start breeding. I'd give them a bit more time. My guppies didn't start breeding till about 4-5 months after I got them.

:D hey! Thanx Guppylover! info is useful! :fish:
I have 2 males and 2 females and i am :nod: totally positive! My platies are bright orange so I don't think I will be able :no: to see the gravid spot. Are there any other signs to tell that they are preggos?

If I was gonna move female into the net breeder how would I do it gently? so I won't make her too stressing which will cause her not giving birth! :D
richdiesslin_fishmusings.gif

Hello Aquagurl,

I have 2 Wagtail platies that are a deep red colour and I also cannot see the gravid spot. I do however see the female nice and plump again (she's been pregnant 2 times before when i;ve noticed) but the fry have either been eaten or sucked up my filter intake :(

If what i have read about platies and most livebearers is true, tolerable water conditions and the fact that you have males AND females will equate to a batch of fry sooner or later.

big_fresh said:
Hello Aquagurl,

I have 2 Wagtail platies that are a deep red colour and I also cannot see the gravid spot. I do however see the female nice and plump again (she's been pregnant 2 times before when i;ve noticed) but the fry have either been eaten or sucked up my filter intake :(

If what i have read about platies and most livebearers is true, tolerable water conditions and the fact that you have males AND females will equate to a batch of fry sooner or later.
thanx a lot but I have babies now! check out the topic called "I got 5 fry! platy babies!"

Most reactions

Back