Plants that can live on ridiculously low levels of light.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm finding my Bolbitis heudelotii might be one for the list. Sure,it can take much light with Co2 and get huge..but if you have a need for a dark corner..it will last there for a long time. Java moss is another. If it feels right..it too can send out threads in very low light tanks. Or no light fixture just a bright room. Windelov java fern seems to get by on less light than the species Java fern.
Now,these plant might not grow much...but are good for a touch of green,right? Not everybody wants a full blown natural aquarium..they want a plant that stays green and alive. Its all they ask.
You have other plants to list? Anacharis/Elodea maybe?

Low light plants you say ? Java Fern is the king. Vesicularia dubyana , the Java Moss does well under low light too. And now for a surprise. Hornwort. Yes, common Hornwort. (Ceratophyllum) I can say this because of personal observation of my own plants that are in Killifish tanks with no light, only ambient room light from a north facing window. Remember though what @Byron once noted. Plants generally die back a little with changing conditions then slowly spring back. I can also confirm this by my personal observations of my own plants.

Why not just add more light so the plants can grow properly instead of being stunted by low light?

Because the situation might not call for intense light. Some plants can have the normal look despite low light. Its natural adaptation. Many people with aquariums want something alive and green is all they ask. Not blasts of light.
Its like land plants in shade...but you can't move them into sudden sun or they will burn and that's true with even cactus.
I know I haven't kept every plant out there so I welcome people to put in what they know,surprise us.

Because the situation might not call for intense light. Some plants can have the normal look despite low light. Its natural adaptation. Many people with aquariums want something alive and green is all they ask. Not blasts of light.
Its like land plants in shade...but you can't move them into sudden sun or they will burn and that's true with even cactus.
I know I haven't kept every plant out there so I welcome people to put in what they know,surprise us.
Have to agree on that.

my anubias nana grows slowly but very well in low light even with floating plants

Bucephalandra. There are many different varieties though they are not the cheapest of plants. I have 2 varieties (Crisped Leaves & Maia) both growing on wood under the dense covering of water sprite.

This is something that can be built on over time. There are plants out there that can take full sun and nobody would guess can also live on light so dim you can hardly see inside of the aquarium. I think this would also be good for jar/bowls/nano tanks..near windows. Not even a dedicated light. Just a bright room. I saw a jar with H.polysperma that did ok on a bank office type fluorescents high above.
There are many fish who HATE bright lights..would like to root around a real,soft plant though..better than plastic- right?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back