Plants survive, not thrive.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@utahfish what has me confused is if all that matters is lumens, what about the color of the light? Based on your most recent post it sounds like as long as I have the right number of lumens, color does not matter. It seems that others pose a contrasting statement.

I'm just looking to make sure I understand the full picture.

@utahfish what has me confused is if all that matters is lumens, what about the color of the light? Based on your most recent post it sounds like as long as I have the right number of lumens, color does not matter. It seems that others pose a contrasting statement.

I'm just looking to make sure I understand the full picture.
Color matters. In an earlier post i said bulbs between 5000k and 6500k.
Anything below or higher is going to encourage algae.
CRI of 90+ is helpful but not necessary.
Having said that if one has a 6500K bulb with a 95CRI rating but not enough lumens one is going to grow algae.
Like i said 20-30 lumens/liter of 5000 to 6500k bulb. Higher CRI the better but not a deal breaker.
Alot of less expensive bulbs in the 5000-6500k range will be 85cri rated and work fine. Ive found the difference to be minute at most in a low tech set up growing low light medium light plants.

I haven't been mentioning lumens simply because I do not have any practical knowledge. And that is because I have used the same light (T8 fluorescent) since the 1980's because it provides just what I need/want for the fish with respect to intensity, and I then stay with plant species that can do quite well with this light. I tried five different LED units and all went back. Which is why I never comment on suitable LED, there are others who have this knowledge/experience.

Spectrum is crucial, no matter what type of light, and this is something I have gone into extensively. With my T8 fluorescent tubes, I have tried many brands and found those that provide good light. I know plants need primarily red, plus blue, to photosynthesize, and that adding green to this does improve plant response. The 5000K-6500K Kelvin range utahfish mentioned is without question ideal.

Thank you everyone! Eyeing this on amazon - I don't have room to do a two-bulb system with my current set up due to having a glass lid (it'd never stay open!). LEDs fit the profile I prefer. Looking at the 24 inch version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S9H64L1/?tag=ff0d01-20

I checked the link, and couldn't find the Kelvin anywhere. But something did pop out...one of the LED units I tried had the red, blue and white colour diodes, and it created coloured streaks through the uppper water surface according to the colour. I found this very annoying. I don't know if all such units do this. Finnex has good reviews, I think some members here have this or one of their units, they can advise.

What you want ideally is white light that has a high red, blue and green wavelength, combined, so the Kelvin is in the 5000K-6500K range. But the light is still white.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I checked the link, and couldn't find the Kelvin anywhere. But something did pop out...one of the LED units I tried had the red, blue and white colour diodes, and it created coloured streaks through the uppper water surface according to the colour. I found this very annoying. I don't know if all such units do this. Finnex has good reviews, I think some members here have this or one of their units, they can advise.

What you want ideally is white light that has a high red, blue and green wavelength, combined, so the Kelvin is in the 5000K-6500K range. But the light is still white.

That is really good feedback - I could not find the Kelvin either; I thought maybe I missed it. Ilooked at reviews and the pictures of peoples tanks look AMAZING, but then again, you never know with reviews...

I don't know if I'd be annoyed by the color until I saw it....

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Hey guys - quick question. I'm going to order that new LED today (Discovered it's 8000K!). I think I'd like to order some Salatigasis seeds and plant those. They seem to tolerate a very generous variety of environments and with the new light, they'd do just fine.

Never kept it before and want to make sure that I'm not wasting money!

Last edited:
Hey guys - quick question. I'm going to order that new LED today (Discovered it's 8000K!). I think I'd like to order some Salatigasis seeds and plant those. They seem to tolerate a very generous variety of environments and with the new light, they'd do just fine.

Never kept it before and want to make sure that I'm not wasting money!
Anything above 6500K like 8000K is good for growing coral more than plants.
Lights above 6500k have less red and more blues and white.
Plants need more red light to grow which 8000k wont provide.
Id really suggest sticking with the 5000K-6500k for live plants or your going to run into problems.

Anything above 6500K like 8000K is good for growing coral more than plants.
Lights above 6500k have less red and more blues and white.
Plants need more red light to grow which 8000k wont provide.
Id really suggest sticking with the 5000K-6500k for live plants or your going to run into problems.

Well, I already ordered it - I was concerned about shipping because Amazon has pushed most shipping back to 2-3 weeks. It'll be here Sunday of course.

This LED is programmable so I am able to adjust the brightness of the white, blue and red - I can also turn off any one color of LED and even schedule when certain LEDs are on.

Since it's got such high output I think I'll adjust them all to 81% (which is 6500 / 8000) and start there. Obviously it'll be better than what I have right now.

All in all, I can always return it too - Amazon's return policies are pretty lenient.

Any idea about the salatigasis?

Well, I already ordered it - I was concerned about shipping because Amazon has pushed most shipping back to 2-3 weeks. It'll be here Sunday of course.

This LED is programmable so I am able to adjust the brightness of the white, blue and red - I can also turn off any one color of LED and even schedule when certain LEDs are on.

Since it's got such high output I think I'll adjust them all to 81% (which is 6500 / 8000) and start there. Obviously it'll be better than what I have right now.

All in all, I can always return it too - Amazon's return policies are pretty lenient.

Any idea about the salatigasis?
While glosstigma looks cool ive never grown it because like a lot of carpeting plants they require high light co2 and lots of trimming. But hey if you want to give it a try go for it, interested to hear your adventures with it.

While glosstigma looks cool ive never grown it because like a lot of carpeting plants they require high light co2 and lots of trimming. But hey if you want to give it a try go for it, interested to hear your adventures with it.

Thanks for the feedback!

A lot of reviews for it do not mention using CO2, so we'll see how it goes!

Well, two weeks later and I think I am seeing some improvements. I think it's going to take a while.

Attachments

• IMG_2687.jpeg
    IMG_2687.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back