Plants online

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone bough plants for there tank by mail order i know there cheaper but whats the quality like.

Hi whacky,
I've bought plants on-line. I've bought them from java and recently from a firm called animal house. Java did take 2 weeks before their plants arrived. When I got them they were fresh and individually sealed in a marked bag. They supplied the lead weights also. They however needed a through clean to get all the snails and minute crustaceans off. The plants from animal house were a lot quicker and just as good as Java.
However they just sent the exact amount ordered. Java were a little generous. Give animal house a call for a copy of their catalogue. 0780 220 2800 and decide for yourself. There is certainly more choice on line than you will have at your lfs. That's for sure. The other thing also, is when you buy on line or mail order you get the "gen" on the various species and genus of the plant and you can decide if that is suitable for your aquaria and its inhabitants.

I don't know about over there but over here most places want a minimum order of $25-50 just on plants that's not the shipping. If you don't like what you see on line ask the guys here if they have a certain plant and if they can pick it up for you. Tell 'em you'll pay them back for the plants and shipping. I bet they would be willing to do that for ya. Just a idea. Rose

Don't know about this animal house place Drag's on about but Java came recomended to me as the quality they were supplying was a lot better than the other places. I placed an order but as the have a wierd send time. Something like evey tuesday it can take a while for your stuff to arrive. I didn't know this at first and went a bit balistic with them as they'd got my cash and I didn't have any plants. All I did was place my order to late for that weeks shipping and had to wait untill the next one. The recommendation was a good one though.I wasn't dissapointed in the plants all were in good health and looked a lot better than the "twigs" you sometimes get from other places. It's been a while since I used them though.

I never seem to have enough green to win any of those. Maybe some day I'll get lucky. Rose

I've bought plants from Green line aquatic plants and they were really good.

I got the 48" tank selection - there were loads of plants and lots of variety. Only I got algaed and lost a lot of my plants and had to get some v.fast growing ones (spiral vallis). I'll shortly go back to that very planted tanks look though :D

Thanks guys, i will give these places a look,

Rose I haven't found that to be the case at all, esp on ebay (most of the sellers also have websites of their own). I've found places that will sell you as little as you want and ship USPS Priority so it's only a few bucks.

But I haven't done it either. Tried one site and the bozo never shipped. http://www.aquabotanic.com/4saleplant.htm
is the place that did that...

Normaly The mod of this forum(Hi Rose :thumbs: ) Wouldn't allow this link/addy but as it's a valid comment.....
Sorry got carried away. I've that much to do etc. lol
The forum and Trop'Aqua' aint responsible for any members comment's opinions etc.
(that should keep you covered Davy)

Sorry. That was hardly an advertisement anyway.

One site people may not know about (which I look at but haven't tried) is www.aquabid.com -- an aquarium auction site. Lots of accessories there too.

Folks sell fish there too, but shipping costs for that seem prohibitive, and silly to incur unless you know you are getting something healthy.

But for plants could be reasonable. More there than on Ebay, and my guess is you may get more folks like those in this forum ... people who know what they are doing given it is a fish-dedicated auction site.

Again, I've never used it.

On this, I'm not advertising for anyone!

Most reactions

trending

Back