Plants in new tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stevolution

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

Have set up a new 150L tropical tank. The bottom has a layer of plant substrate (can't remember what it's called, looks like small round granules) and then sand on top of that. I planted some twisted plants 7 days ago. Have added some plant food tabs and 4 tones this week added some liquid carbon. The plants don't look too healthy (see pictures). Can anyone suggest what has happened or if I can rescue them?

Thanks for any help

20240128_152254.jpg
20240128_152305.jpg

Attachments

• 20240128_152301.jpg
    20240128_152301.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 4
I would say your liquid carbon may be the problem...vallisineria will grow readily without all of the extra stuff, fish waste would be enough of a fertiliser in my experience.

Yes, vals are well known to be sensitive to liquid carbon and melt.

Many people won't use these products as they contain glutaraldehyde derivatives - google glutaraldehyde and you'll see why.

Oh. That's not good. I shall stop putting that stuff in immediately then. Is there anything I can do to save them or is it too late? I don't have any fish in there yet

I don't know if they're saveable but it's worth a try. As long as their roots don't rot, there's hope but it may take a while form them to come back.

OK thanks - should I cut them back or anything or just leave them and hope for the best

I would remove the leaves that look totally past it but leave any which are not at death's door and hope they can provide nutrients to the rest of the plant.

Most reactions

Back