Plants Habitats

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello everyone, and happy new year to everyone of you!

I'd like to show you some pictures I took of plants in their natural environments. Keep in mind that all plants that I share are all native to Thailand.

1. Selaginella willdenowii
24B3FA7C-FF1A-4F1F-9686-AD24056CDC10.jpeg

2. Bolbitis heteroclita
8A42E30A-025B-44B2-A0BA-D484D1A58A06.jpeg

3. The karst spring - home to Cryptocoryne cordata var. siamensis and the endemic Betta simplex.
2DF6146C-BA05-434A-A54A-4BC6B2333BB1.jpeg
94CCFA65-FB58-468A-BC1B-14ED7B37FDDA.jpeg

To be continued…

Hey, Barry, haven't seen you around here for a while. I LOVE seeing stuff like this. That Bolbitis as a land plant! Interesting!
Hey, nice to see you again :)
I’ll tag @Colin_T in and Is @Wills still here?
Most plants in aquarium hobby are amphibious which means they have “emersed” (terrestrial) and “submersed” form which sometime looks completely different from eachother.
Here are some more photos.

Cryptocoryne ciliata var. ciliata
0302D0C2-04BC-479D-A5C5-94E9A8CC80C5.jpeg
6E9F4551-267F-47CA-8E60-535BFACEB089.jpeg
DD134F18-0967-40CA-9573-F5CC2FFA80CB.jpeg

Nepenthes mirabilis

4C693A1A-98DC-4A12-8B0B-1D188E5290D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Barry,
sorry for not posting before now. I'm tired and not feeling well.

how have you been?
how is your family and pet ducks?
how is your plant farm going?

Your photography is good and you have some nice pictures, well done :)
I like the boat moored beside the palms, the colours are good and it tells a story. If there was a person in it fishing or doing something it would be even better but it's still a nice shot.

The peacock fern (Selaginella willdenowii) is lovely. I had never heard of it until you posted a picture and I looked online but it's not allowed into WA :( I'm not sure why, it presumably needs moisture and we are a desert state so it's unlikely to become invasive, and even if it did, it's a lovely plant and would look nice near under a tree by a creek.

The Karst Spring, what causes the water to be blue like that?

Pontederia hastata, the inside of the flowers is interesting, a tight spiral instead of individual stems that are straight. Again we can't get them here but they look nice and interesting.

Hi Colin

I’ve been studying a business subject in the university, and been doing surprisingly decent. At first I thought I’m going to get many F. My family is just about the same. Many ducks were killed by some dogs.
My plant collections have been growing. I now have around a hundreds. I’m currently trying to collect as many native plants as possible especially from Alismataceae and the popular Araceae family.
The peacock fern (Selaginella willdenowii) is lovely.
There are many other Selaginella that are native to Australia, some are endemic species. Take a look at these Inaturalist observations.
The Karst Spring, what causes the water to be blue like that?
Probably because of the dissolved limestone. Also there is this this karst spring I would like to visit one day in Bonito, Mato Grosso do sul, Brazil called Rio Sucuri https://www.google.co.th/search?cli...wGHRAVB4IQ0pQJegQIFBAB&biw=1024&bih=662&dpr=2 which features giant Echinodorus and Pontederia. This video was filmed by Tai Streitman, the author of upcoming “Aquatic Habitats” Book

Pontederia hastata, the inside of the flowers is interesting, a tight spiral instead of individual stems that are straight. Again we can't get them here but they look nice and interesting.
A member from the same genus, Pontederia vaginalis is native to WA. Since it’s native here too, today I’m on a quest to find it for my aquarium.

Last edited:
Colocasia esculenta - This plant grow in most waterways, canal, ditches, rivers and wetlands.
CA80F63D-BAAB-4766-A216-51F5CB7C94E8.jpeg

I have tried a few Colocasias down here but they die as soon as the weather cools down in autumn. Really disappointing because they are lovely plants.

I have tried a few Colocasias down here but they die as soon as the weather cools down in autumn. Really disappointing because they are lovely plants.
I live in a place with tropical climate and hot all year round and never experiences something like this, but I think in the regions with colder climate, you’ll have to store the corms in warm container and start over when the outside is warmer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back