Planted Tank Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

KLG1234

Reaction score
This message has been deleted.

Last edited:
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

While we're waiting for the info requested, a couple of general observations.

If fish are intended, a low-tech or natural method planted tank is recommended as opposed to a high-tech. The natural planted tank is easier to run, far less susceptible to problems, and safer for fish. It is also considerably less expensive to set up and to operate.

Light is the key. Aquatic plants require a minimum intensity of light (it somewhat varies depending upon the species) to drive photosynthesis, and the light must provide good red, blue and green wavelengths. Once the light is selected, you have to ensure there are sufficient nutrients (plants require 17 nutrients, and in something of a specific proportion to each other) so the plants can use the light. If the light is too bright, or on too long, or not bright enough, or there are too many nutrients or not enough nutrients...in all these cases problem algae will take over.

It may sound very complicated but it actually is not, but the first and most important factor is the light.

Iā€™m doing something similar. Iā€™m also taking out a factor to simplify this (if that interests you) . Iā€™m looking at java ferns, partially so I can not bother perfecting substrate.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
I have well water so our water does not come from a company and during these times surrounding the virus I am currently not going outside my house so I cannot get the info on the water for you but if I had to assume we have hard water itā€™s very mineral rich. The tank id be stocking is a 60 gallon standard rectangle once again I do not have exact dimensions. Sorry

If
I have well water so our water does not come from a company and during these times surrounding the virus I am currently not going outside my house so I cannot get the info on the water for you but if I had to assume we have hard water itā€™s very mineral rich. The tank id be stocking is a 60 gallon standard rectangle once again I do not have exact dimensions. Sorry
If you google USA hard water map you can get an idea of what type of water you have, There are several maps and some will show hardness range for your area. :)

If

If you google USA hard water map you can get an idea of what type of water you have, There are several maps and some will show hardness range for your area. :)
According to that then I have slightly hard water with 0-3 grains per gallon. Not too sure what that means lol

In the calculator on the forum, grains per gallon is the same as US hardness. Enter 3 in that box and it converts to 2.9 dH and 51.6 ppm. This is why we ask for numbers rather than words as 0 to 3 grains per gallon is soft not slightly hard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back