Planted 33 gallon

Sean_Buckley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
OK, I REALLY want to change my 33 gallon, and possibly by 10 and 40 gallon(s) to real plants. I know the HOB filters disturb the water a lot, but if I have enough CO2, will that matter? Also, I'm planning on switching to sand, from gravel, and I have an undergravel filter, should I take that out before I get the plants? And if I only have 1 light bulb socket (flourescent), would that give enough light? O, and one more thing, would I need fertilizer or anything?
Sean

EDIT: The tankmates are 3 angelfish, 1 male swordtail, 2 Murrays Rainbowfish, 12 juvenille convicts, soon to be sold, 4 bronze cories, and one RTBS. Will having DIY CO2 alter the pH too much? If it does, can that be altered by heavily planting the tank?

Sean_Buckley said:
OK, I REALLY want to change my 33 gallon, and possibly by 10 and 40 gallon(s) to real plants. I know the HOB filters disturb the water a lot, but if I have enough CO2, will that matter? Also, I'm planning on switching to sand, from gravel, and I have an undergravel filter, should I take that out before I get the plants? And if I only have 1 light bulb socket (flourescent), would that give enough light? O, and one more thing, would I need fertilizer or anything?
Sean

EDIT: The tankmates are 3 angelfish, 1 male swordtail, 2 Murrays Rainbowfish, 12 juvenille convicts, soon to be sold, 4 bronze cories, and one RTBS. Will having DIY CO2 alter the pH too much? If it does, can that be altered by heavily planting the tank?
I think HOB gets to much air exposure and counter productive to the CO2. Not that the O2 replaces CO2, but rather CO2 gets wasted in HOB trickle like filtration. This may applied to DIY/Canister CO2. But in non-CO2 addition tank, it helps adding CO2 from the air into the water.

As for substrate, sand gets compacted after a while. 2-3mm gravel is more suitable. Take the UGF away for planted tank if you'll be using substrate fertilizer, cause it'll get the ferts circulating in the water, not good at all :D .
Try to get at least 2 watt per gallon, or place the tank to receive some natural light (indirect sunlight).

There are 2 main stream of planted tank, both can be equally successful, but never mix them in a tank. The "high tech" (CO2, fertilizer addition, 3-4WPG light, canister filter) and "natural" (no CO2, no ferts, internal filter, rich substrate). Check out mr.google for references :D . DIY or pressurized, 20-30 ppm CO2 is generally safe for fish and good level for CO2 planted tank.

Most reactions

Back