plant weights

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BrianK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it okay to use plant weights on Valisneria and Amazon Sword or will it kill them? Just trying to keep them in the gravel since the roots are so small on these new plants.

Thanks

Is it okay to use plant weights on Valisneria and Amazon Sword or will it kill them? Just trying to keep them in the gravel since the roots are so small on these new plants.

Thanks
Hello. I use rocks from my rock garden to weigh the plants down. Just don't use anything too heavy. For Vals, you can use smaller rocks and place them around the plant. I don't try to bury the roots. They're too easily damaged.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Thanks. I may do that but it doesn't answer my question about plant weights.

I myself would never use them simply because they are metal. We've had this discussion in the past and some of us see no problem, others are not of that mind. As they are unnecessary, I don't believe in risking things. A small cluster of small river rock works very well until the roots establish. If you have fish that dig, the river rock may need to be permanent.

They are the supposedly fish safe ones from buceplant.com. Zinc magnesium alloy.

I guess I will see how it goes for now. If the plants start to die, I will switch to rocks. Thanks all.

They are the supposedly fish safe ones from buceplant.com. Zinc magnesium alloy.

I guess I will see how it goes for now. If the plants start to die, I will switch to rocks. Thanks all.
All life Plants and animals need zinc and magnesium. It is safe to use. I have used lead free copper pipe solder. which is an alloy Tin, Silver, and copper. All life also needs capper. It has been in use for many decades on home copper pipe and it is safe. Tin and Silver are not used by living things and are not toxic in an aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back