Plant Recovery After Salt Treatment?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking straight because I was worried about a fish, and I left 2 anubias plants and 1 java fern in a salt-treated tank for 2 days. When I noticed that 75% of the leaves had turned brown, I took them out and put them in different tanks. Although there are still green leaves on all 3 of the plants, I'm wondering if I should remove the brown ones? Would the plants be OK if I did this? or am I better off waiting until they drop off themselves.

I would remove the brown leaves on the java fern.  They are hardy and fast growers, and can handle that.  For anubias, I would leave them on since they are slower growers, even though they are also hardy.

Here is why, and I ask to be corrected if I am wrong because I am no plant expert.  Plants with browning leaves will use energy to try to sustain their injured leaves.  Fast growing plants should be pruned so they can focus their energy on new growth.  Therefore, I would cut the injured leaves off of java fern.

Anubias is such a slow grower, that a slightly injured leaf should be kept on the plant until new leaves can take its place.  Cutting too many leaves off an anubias will slow its growth down to even slower than what it normally is.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back