Plant Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so... Today while I was at the fish store I noticed they had a little pennywort plant in their tank, I asked if it was possible for it to grow outside of a body of water and he said absolutely not.  But I'm still curious, I have all over my yard what looks very similar so I just wasn't sure.  The ground isn't super dry, kinda soggy marsy mossy where it does grow.  I have a couple pics.  One outside and a couple of some new growth I took in.  The roots do spread underground cause you can pull up a big strand of it if you start at any given part.

If it is pennywort, would I be able to make it want to grow in the tank?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20131015_151932.jpg
    20131015_151932.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 20131015_152325.jpg
    20131015_152325.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20131015_152335.jpg
    20131015_152335.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 106
I can't say if what's in your yard is pennywort but I just did some research and found that pennywort can be fully submersed or in bog settings. Hope that helps

I hove did that. It dies out for a few days but new growths will sprout. Just keep up the lights and the nutrients youll be fine with it.

We gots lots of it in the grassy areas and boggy areas near my community

That appears to be creeping charlie in your yard, I would not recommend putting it into your fish tank without further research as to how it could affect the balance of your tank. Some plants especially naturally growing plants you might find in your yard or in a nearby body of water are capable of living in your aquarium at least for a period of time however they tend to suck nutrients out of the water that other plants need to do well in your tank. Or they are semi-aquatic plants and will die, as they are not meant to be fully submerged.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back