Plant Maintenance Tools

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

martin_jones

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend anywhere that sells (reasonably priced) long handled scissors/tweezers/planting tools for maintaining the plants in my (22" deep) aquarium?

I am fed up of putting my arm in (up to the shoulder) whilst standing on a chair - not the best way to do it, I imagine :)

TIA

Martin

Yeah bit of a bugger this one.

I tend to find things in the strangest places. I've got some good stainless steel spatulas and stuff for sculpting the substrate from kitchen shops.
I also got some useful scissors from a pound type shop - they were cranked stainless steel bandage scissors, but they have reasonably long handles, a blunting bit on the end so I cant accidentally spear a fish (or plant) and being cranked it makes it easier to get at the base of a plant from and easier angle.

Mind you I still end up rolling up the end of my T shirt sleeves :S

I remember when I first saw the prce of the ADA Pro Scissors. They may be good but £119.99 for a pair of scissors just made my jaw drop.

£35 quid?! That's quite a lot (or is that average for this sort of equipment?)

It may seem so, but the kit contains 3 tools, tweesers, scissors and a substrate rake/spatula (in a case).
All of which are very good quality, far better than the slightly cheaper ones I got from singapore (through ebay).

If you look at the cost of buying these items individually, you'll see that it's not a bad price. You'd need to find each individual tool for less than £12. Even JBL one are going to cost about that much (unless you buy the plastic tongs).

When I bought the kit, I wasn't too sure of the usefulness of the spatula, but it has proved to be excellent when working with the plants.

I'd still recommend the kit !

Aquaessentials - i bought a dymax contra angled scissors and a jbl combifix tweezers - last month for 27.94 plus carriage. my tank is 20" deep and they work well. :)

£35 quid?! That's quite a lot (or is that average for this sort of equipment?)

Jeeez, what do you want?

£35 and you get tweezers, scissors and rake!! That works out under £12 each.

You`ll pay £120 for a pair of ADA scissors alone!!!!

They are great value, even if the case does look like its just been on a deep space mission.

Chris

Anyone know of any longer tools as my Aquarium is 30" deep, so to use that set at only 11 or 12" long I would still have to practically climb in my tank !!
I too have to take of my shirt and stand on a chair and lean right into me tank for pruning etc. (and im 6 foot plus tall). :blink:

Anyone know of any longer tools as my Aquarium is 30" deep, so to use that set at only 11 or 12" long I would still have to practically climb in my tank !!
I too have to take of my shirt and stand on a chair and lean right into me tank for pruning etc. (and im 6 foot plus tall). :blink:

Fillet - I'm surprised you haven't rigged up some steelwork with a nice little cantilever and a harness system you could wear.

Mind you convincing the mrs to let you dig up the living room floor to get the foundation could prove problematic :lol: :lol:

Fillet 'O' Fish, how big is your tank if it's 30inch deep? Was it a custom made tank? Any pics?

Russ

Fillet - I'm surprised you haven't rigged up some steelwork with a nice little cantilever and a harness system you could wear.

Mind you convincing the mrs to let you dig up the living room floor to get the foundation could prove problematic :lol: :lol:

Dont worry about that m8...its on a nice beam and block floor. :good:
I bet yours is on sky hooks with a nice sto render finish as per the usual Architects aspirations :lol:

Fillet 'O' Fish, how big is your tank if it's 30inch deep? Was it a custom made tank? Any pics?

Russ

Its a standard Rena tank, 1200mm x 500mm x 750mm deep

Most reactions

Back