Plant indetification???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am a Newby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got these 2 and dont know names if someone can help identify them for me please???

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_153029.jpg
    IMG_20220219_153029.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220219_153444.jpg
    IMG_20220219_153444.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 37
The tip plant looks like a type of crypt, the bottom one looks really familiar but I forget what those are.

The left photo is a crypt, a species of Cryptocoryne. I know some of the species, but rather than guess, someone else will come along and pin it down. The plant in the right photo is a stem plant, Limnophila aquatica (Ambulia) if memory serves me, but here too others will likely know.

Left is some sort of crypt and one on the right is floating plant they had it on surface has no roots but they do not know name of it.

replying to Byron quote didnt work :)

Even doe its floating one i did this and barried it in subtrate maybe 3cm and i was wondering will it be ok like this i like way it looks in corner when not floating.

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_165422.jpg
    IMG_20220219_165422.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220219_185304.jpg
    IMG_20220219_185304.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 37
Left is some sort of crypt and one on the right is floating plant they had it on surface has no roots but they do not know name of it.

replying to Byron quote didnt work :)

Stem plants grow in a continuing stem, and cutting the stem at one of the nodes can sometimes get branching. But they can be grown with the cut end in the substrate, or some of them can be left floating. Technically, this plant is a stem plant that can be cultivated either way.

Stem plants grow in a continuing stem, and cutting the stem at one of the nodes can sometimes get branching. But they can be grown with the cut end in the substrate, or some of them can be left floating. Technically, this plant is a stem plant that can be cultivated either way.
tnx mate just the answer i was looking for now i might go and plant all of floating ones in background and make a wall of green and leave just few floating as i have just 8w led light and they block lot of light while on surfice

Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) is another possibility. Check the leaf whorls positioning on the stem to see which plant yours matches.

When we grow stem plants rooted in the substrate, there are some maintenance issues to recognize. First, they are all fast growing plants, and that means the tips will grow toward the strongest light. As the lower stem portions receive less light, the leaves may die and fall off, leaving bare stems. Regular pruning will deal with this; uproot the stem(s) when this occurs, cut off the bare lower portions, and plant the cut end of the growing ends.

ok tnx mate i was thinking of triming it at top when it reaches surface.
And if lower leaves die and fall of as long it looks good to my eye i might leave it as it is who know time will tell.

just realised i have some small floater that came in with hornswort didnt see any yesterday is this duckweed?
if so can i just pick them up and add to jar with fertiliser to grow them or need some other way to multiply them?

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_142336.jpg
    IMG_20220220_142336.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 29
The first one is a bronze or red crypt and the second looks like hornwort or fox tail
tnx mate yeah i conformed about fox tail thats how they cal it here and tnx for naming crypt for me.
Maybe u can confirm if this small stuff on post above is duckweed for me and how can i grow it maybe remove it and grow it in tub?

The small floater is duckweed. It will take over your tank. Some people like it, some fish eat it. But if you don't want it, remove every single plant you can find, and keep looking every few days. I speak from experience having just tried to rid both my tanks of this invasive pest plant :mad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back