Plant ID's needed please!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
These are what have survived so far from my disaster order, in the fish only tank. Since they might make it, thought I'd better find out what they are for sure! Hard such a hard time getting photos in this tank, the light was over exposing the photos, especially with the green fluffy stems. I reckon darkening the photos might make it clearer, but I have no editing skills. Will give it a go later though.
DSCF1525.JPG

This was it in the bucket when it arrived on the 8th. It suffered quite a bit in the baking soda solution for 48 hours (company said to do that to remove pesticide used) but I do think it's growing now it's in the fish only tank. Hope you can tell enough from the photos to see what they are.
Plant one:
DSCF1670.JPG

DSCF1696.JPG

DSCF1706.JPG

Plant two:
DSCF1551.JPG

Plant two when it first arrived. Base of stems were really slimy (most of the other stem plants didn't survive shipping in a heatwave)
And the leaves now are still a battered bruised looking mess, but it's not shedding too much and isn't dead yet, so hoping for new growth. These following photos just might not be great for identification purposes because it's in a mess still
DSCF1675.JPG

DSCF1682.JPG
DSCF1721.JPG

Plant three, maybe a hygrophila of some kind? But I might be wrong! The healthiest of the bunch, even has some decent new growth!
Day one:
DSCF1560.JPG

Some of the top stems turned black after soaking in baking powder solution, but trimmed those off
DSCF1671.JPG
DSCF1731.JPG
DSCF1724.JPG

Excited about all these little bright green leaf buds!
DSCF1672.JPG

Obviously no idea what they are but my goodness they all look so much better than when you got them :wub:
Aaaww, thanks! Honestly, this is my dad's tank not mine, and it's a plant killer, lol. I've often taken cuttings from the plants in my tanks to go in there, only to have them die. So these ones aren't even planted where they should stay since they were in such a mess when they arrived.. I had to plant them at the front so I could keep a better eye on them and remove any bits that go nasty. Not the best approach to planting a tank since moving them around when they're trying to root can make them struggle more, but hey, they've survived a lot already.

Might still leave these where they are, then take cuttings if they grow in more and plant those in more sensible areas, and keep these trimmed short so they don't block the view, we shall see how they go :) I added root tabs and liquid ferts, up to them now!

Might work best to take trimmings than move rooted plants. (Just thinking as a gardener)
Yep, I think that would be for the best too. Poor things have been through so much already, since they're still alive and trying to grow ten days later, wouldn't be fair to uproot them again and would probably be the final straw. I quite like how they look where they are now anyway. The green fluffy camboba/hornwort type thingy might get a big too tall, but should survive some harsh pruning when needed too. The fry are loving it as well.

First one hornwort or cabomba?
Think the last one is ludwiga repens

I thought you were a dab hand at photography..?

First one hornwort or cabomba?
Think the last one is ludwiga repens

I thought you were a dab hand at photography..?

Oohh, I wanted some ludwigia repens, thanks! I think the other might be cabomba, I find cabomba and hornwort hard to tell apart really, but it looks a little different from the hornwort? In my tank (pictured). But maybe there are different varieties of hornwort. I know it's that type of fast growing stem plant anyway, so doesn't greatly matter which it is! :fun:
DSCF0869.JPG

Haha, why did you think I was good at photography? I've never claimed to be good at it!

I can take better photos of my own tanks because the light on one of the tanks is decent, plus enough floating plant cover means the photos don't get washed out by the tank lights, but I don't have much control over the lighting/sticking up hood/floating plant cover in this tank :p I'm also not a skilled photographer at all. The technical stuff confuses me, and I mainly point and click. Just picked up a few tips and tricks for aquarium photos from practice and reading around.

Oohh, I wanted some ludwigia repens, thanks! I think the other might be cabomba, I find cabomba and hornwort hard to tell apart really, but it looks a little different from the hornwort? In my tank (pictured). But maybe there are different varieties of hornwort. I know it's that type of fast growing stem plant anyway, so doesn't greatly matter which it is! :fun:View attachment 113351

Haha, why did you think I was good at photography? I've never claimed to be good at it!

I can take better photos of my own tanks because the light on one of the tanks is decent, plus enough floating plant cover means the photos don't get washed out by the tank lights, but I don't have much control over the lighting/sticking up hood/floating plant cover in this tank :p I'm also not a skilled photographer at all. The technical stuff confuses me, and I mainly point and click. Just picked up a few tips and tricks for aquarium photos from practice and reading around.
Ah well fair enough, just the impression I had! :look:
Id put money (50p) on it being cabomba :p

Off topic, but did you know that Cabomba caroliniana is illegal to sell in the UK? Other Cabomba species are legal.

And 3 more species were added to the list on 15 August
Salvinia molesta (Giant Salvinia)
Gymnocoronis spilanthoides (Senegal Tea Plant)
and ALL Barley Straw products.

Off topic, but did you know that Cabomba caroliniana is illegal to sell in the UK? Other Cabomba species are legal.

And 3 more species were added to the list on 15 August
Salvinia molesta (Giant Salvinia)
Gymnocoronis spilanthoides (Senegal Tea Plant)
and ALL Barley Straw products.
I did not know that! Darn it, people releasing plants/species into the wild or in ponds that can flood, ruining it for the rest of us! We were talking about the bans on apple snails, mystery snails and others, and water lettuce the other week weren't we.

Back on topic though, do you think the plant in the first photos is hornwort or cabomba? Or too hard to tell? How about the one in comment #8?

I'm not good at IDing plants other than those I have. But if it is cabomba it could well be one of the other species. The leaves look a bit finer or more delicate than the hornwort I used to have but the way the leaves are attached to the stem look the same. The images of Cabomba aquatica (a legal cabomba) show the leaves as more like fans with a central stem attached to the main stem.
Just to add more confusion, there is also Limnophila sessiliflora, otherwise known as false cabomba......

Look at the list in the link, you'll find apple snails near the bottom :)

I'm not good at IDing plants other than those I have. But if it is cabomba it could well be one of the other species. The leaves look a bit finer or more delicate than the hornwort I used to have but the way the leaves are attached to the stem look the same. The images of Cabomba aquatica (a legal cabomba) show the leaves as more like fans with a central stem attached to the main stem.
Just to add more confusion, there is also Limnophila sessiliflora, otherwise known as false cabomba......

Look at the list in the link, you'll find apple snails near the bottom :)
I understand, I'm no good at IDing most of the plants I have, even :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back