plant ID please

sandro

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of plants these are? I think one is an amazon sword, but, I'm not sure as I'm new to plants.

Thanks!

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Yep fist one is amazon sword and the second one is

Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Family Apiaceae

Continent South America

Region South America

Country of origin

Height 10-20 cm

Width 5-15 cm

Light requirements low-very high

Temperature 15-28 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard

pH tolerance 5-9

Growth fast

Demands easy

A plant that grows fast and adapts easily, thriving in relatively hard water. Immediately after planting Hydrocotyle leucocephala will grow towards the light and the surface, where it will spread. It does not need to be rooted, but can be used as a floating plant which provides a hiding-place for young fish. Used as a herb in the tropics.

Thanks!

Would you know exactly what kind of amazon sword it is? There seems to be a number of plants people call "amazon sword".

Difficult but I reckon

Scientific name Echinodorus sp

Common name Amazon Sword

Origin South America

Aquarium use Background

Lighting Medium-Bright

Temperature 15-30oC (59-86oF)

Water chemistry Not critical
Substrate Plain gravel or sand may suffice for some species, but most will require a nutrient substrate or 'root tabs' to thrive.

Or

Echinodorus bleheri
Family Alismataceae

Continent South America

Region South America

Country of origin

Height 20-50 cm

Width 25-40 cm

Light requirements low-very high

Temperature 20-30 °C

Hardness tolerance soft-hard

pH tolerance 5,5-9

Growth fast

Demands easy

Echinodorus bleheri is undemanding and beautiful. A nutritious bottom promotes growth, but the plant needs pruning to prevent it depriving plants underneath of light. E. bleheri does well even in poorly illuminated aquariums, as it grows towards the light. It is a hardy and easy solitary plant for both beginners and the more experienced with quite large aquariums. It has been sold under the name ''Paniculatus''.

First is amazon sword, it'll grow best if you put a root tab right underneath it. As for the second, it's called cardamine, I have it in my tank and it grows like a weed, even outside down the back and sides of the tank!

Eventually it will look like this... :D

Attachments

• cardamine.JPG
    cardamine.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 56

Most reactions

Back