Plant Id Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Right, the first one I received, by accident, along with another batch of plants some time ago. It was tiny then and hasn't grown much since! The leaves lower down on the plant are red and the new growth is green at the top.

First picture next to some melty bacopa for scale (poop for scale as well lol!):

DSCF4511.jpg

DSCF4526.jpg

DSCF4528.jpg

The next plant we're pretty sure on an ID but thought I would run it pass you guys too! The thought is that it's cryptocoryne pontederiifolia :) The red colour doesn't always come through in my pictures but the first one with sunlight on it shows it the best.

2012-07-16180526.jpg

DSCF4386.jpg

DSCF4392.jpg

The first one is definately a Ludwigia, not sure on species though. Second one does look like a crytocorne, but someone else will confirm that. :good:

the first one is Rotala, not Ludwigia.

the second...the second looks non aquatic to me, but i'm not 100%, it could be a rarer cypt. What do the roots look like.

Oh man don't make me pull one up lol

They are definitely aquatic, I've had them for the whole time this tank has been set up and they are growing like crazy, they did a massive melt, pretty much 100%, when I got them which is crypt-like :p If some of the leaves look funny I think they may have been from the initial regrowth when I didn't have many ferts in the water.

I'll try and pull one up later tonight, I'm doing housework at the moment and my hands are covered in cleansers
crazy.gif

Thanks re: the rotala that looks right, is it normal for them to be so small? I've never seen it before now but from a google image search they look like bigger plants :/ Is it supposed to be slow growing?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Well I didn't pull one up but I've just spotted an old pictue from when I got the tank including plants. They look completely different now than they did then but then the person wasn't exactly looking after them either. What do ya think?

DSCF2719.jpg

DSCF2716.jpg

I'd go with a crypt from that.

Most reactions

trending

Back