Plant Id Help From Michigan Lake

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crash274

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Got these from a privite lake that has little access, so hopefully that will cut the chances of getting any unwanted hitchhikers.

Been planning this free dive trip for awhile as I knew of some wood I wanted to grab for the tank too. But I was suprised to find such a wide variety of plants that maybe a good fit for a tank. After it took me three hours to dig out the wood I wanted, I got seven different types of plants. I know lake plants as three types:

1) the kind that gets me stuck
2) the kind that messes up my lures
3) lilly pads

So any ideas on these would be awesome as I went through the whole plant species index with no luck.

Plant #1 - Grew in small bunches with medium growth. Seems to have twig like stems that snap when bent to far.
plant1.jpgplant1cl.jpg

Plant #2 - I do believe is what we call Hydrilla here. Its known as a nuisence and invasive species. Mostly becase it clogs up channels and shallow lakes. Its one of the few here I have seen before. Grows in long strands. Noticed the ends are turning red. Possibly due to the end of the growing season here.

plant2.jpgplant2cl.jpg

Plant #3 Is a medium growth plant that grows in single strands. Very few of these in the area. Seems to prefer the edges of heavy growth.

plant3.jpgplant7cl.jpg

Plant #4 - I know these by their local name "Arrow Heads". I like the looks of these when the leaves are floating on top. Medium growth, does not like deeper water.

plant4.jpgplant5cl.jpg

Plant #5 These grow in bunches on the edges of bottom changes, Seem similar to some plants I've seen on these forums. Heavy roots and tall growth.

plant5.jpgplant4cl.jpg

Plant #6 I have no idea, never seen this stuff before. Found in what seems to be current strewn "clumps" These are rough to the touch. It has "knobs and runners"

plant6.jpgplant6cl.jpg

Plant #7 Looks familar, but has smaller leaves and short growth then the plant I'm used to seeing in LFS and my own tank. Rough to the touch and some-what tough

plant7.jpgplant3cl.jpg

Thanks in adance, Hope you are as entertained as I was diving for them.

All my samples are being kept in a cooler in a mixture of old tank water and fresh treated water, during the quarentine. Planning on lighting them for 10 hours a day.  Think I should get them on ferts and Co2?

Answered my own questions with help from the Texas Department of Wildlife. I can provide a link that gives excellent pictures for ID purposes of almost every freshwater plant in North America.

Meh, only good thing to come outta Texas...pfffffttttt.....

#1 Nitella (nitella spp.)
#2 Eurasian Watermilfoil (myriophyllum spicatum) INVASIVE SPECIES
#3 Widgeon Grass (ruppia maritima)
#4 American Pondweed (potamogeton nodosus)
#5 Eelgrass (vallisneria americana)
#6 Muskgrass / Chara (chara spp.)
#7 Hydrilla (hydrilla verticillata) INVASIVE SPECIES

So I broke a couple laws regarding the transport of invasive species yesterday it would seem. I was also way off in my backwoods knowledge of aquatic plants.

So I'll probally keep the Nitella. Widgeon grass, Eelgrass, and pond weed, The chara will start to smell foul  and the other two invasives I'll avoid. Although the watermilfoil is stunning in the water and I might reconsider using it. That site also gives you replanting tips as its meant for pond suppliers

true but Be careful though. The authorities might know, Here its basically illegal to have hydrilla but nobody cares. But your country is a bit strict with those kin of things though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back