Plant Help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Xzavier247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I went into a different aquatic store and I was looking for Blyxa Japonica because mine melted severely. Probably past no point of return from the store. So the wife and I bought some stem plant from a different store and it looks like japonica but the seller said it wasn't but its an awesome looking plant. Need help I.D'ing this one.
Here it is.
Looks just like Japonica. 

Looks more like a straightforward vallis to me.

Almost certainly vallis then. It does that occasionally.

They're all prone to die back in my experience. I'm not sure which one you'd tend to acquire in the states, there are a lot of species out there, we tend to only get about 5 of them in Europe but I've no experience of the US availabilities. Overall I'd have simply called it straight vallis.

It's an obligate aquatic plant, which is slightly unusual for what we tend to see in aquarium plants and I do wonder if it simply doesn't like the transplantation process as once it's got established it grows like a weed in most tanks, but it doesn't like gluteraldehyde based CO2 treatments or soft water (I think it's a calcium thing as it does fine in my calcium dosed tanks).

Yeah, I am going to give up on this species. Going to try another foreground plant... Probably going to open another discussion thread for everybody's opinion. 

looks like the Blyxa Japonica i got its root system and crown are not right to be valli's  i'd say its japonica. but japonica iv never mannaged to grow, i think it needs co2 

leafs look to pointy to be valli, valli is more of a square leaf profile  rounded at the very tip, this plant looks very pointy at the tip, i agree with mike455555 it looks very like Blyxa Japonica

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back