Plant help

Exiled

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently baught two very nice Java Fern plants which came with their roots wrapped in foam with a metallic weight band around it. My question is, is the foam and metal band supposed to be removed? And I have sand substrate--how deeply should I bury the roots?

Also, there is some algae growing on the tops of the leaves--can I safely rub the algea off with cotton, or will this damage the leaf surface?

The roots are mainly for attaching to things... you don't need to bury them. Burying the rhizome would actually be bad for the plant, so chances are you wouldn't get the roots in very deep anyway. I suppose it's up to you if you remove the thing or not... I can't really picture what you're talking about.

The leaves are tough... good luck damaging them. These plants are survivors.

I fully agree with endparenthesis you will have a hard time hurting these guys. The metal thing and foam can be carefully removed and they will reveal several smaller plants. They are normally attached to something above the substrate with thread or something like that and they will eventually stick to it. I also have some planted in the substrate that are growing fine but a little slower than those that are not in the substrate. Many plantlets are forming on both types. HTH :)

Absolutely. You want to attach the rhizome to a piece of wood or suitable stone, and keep it in the water, not buried, it'll rot buried. Tough as old boots, so wipe away.

Most reactions

Back