What's new

Plant "fertilizer"

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

njparton

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've just added a few more plants to my tank to help uptake nitrate and to provide a bit more shelter for my bottom dwellers AND for something else for my ever growing silver dollars to munch on....

I'm sure that with as many plants as I have now (about 8 I think) I'm going to need to start adding something to the water to aid their growth.

Given that I've finally gotten rid of a white and green algea bloom and I now finally have crystal clear water :D :D :D , can anyone make any recommendations (for something that's available in the UK).

I can't tell you what the name of my plants are so I don't know if I need tablets or a liquid - I'd like to experiment with both, but nothing that will encourage algea...

Any ideas?

njparton - If you have all the fish in your signature in a 35 gallon tank (holy jumpins that's a lot of fish for a tank that size), I'd bet my bottom dollar that they will produce more than enough 'fertilizer' for 8 plants. The plants are simply using all the nutrients that used to create algae problems for you. Unless you notice that your plants look really pathetic (and you're fairly certain it's not due to inappropriate pH/hardness or lack of light), I wouldn't add any chemicals. Just my two cents worth. :)

AquaNut said:
njparton - If you have all the fish in your signature in a 35 gallon tank (holy jumpins that's a lot of fish for a tank that size), I'd bet my bottom dollar that they will produce more than enough 'fertilizer' for 8 plants. The plants are simply using all the nutrients that used to create algae problems for you. Unless you notice that your plants look really pathetic (and you're fairly certain it's not due to inappropriate pH/hardness or lack of light), I wouldn't add any chemicals. Just my two cents worth. :)
I do indeed have them all in a 140L tank, I was too enthusiastic when I first set my tank up -_- .

I've lost a couple of clown loaches and a blue ram to white spot though :(

If all the plants need is nitrate, then I agree with you - they'll get all they need, but I'm pretty sure they need trace minerals as well?

I'm pretty sure in the next 6-12 months my network catfish and 2 silver dollars will need new homes...

mrV said:
http://www.tropica.com -> you'll find your plants :)
Good grief that site is huge!! :eek:

I've consulted my aquarium encyclopedia and I have the following:

3 x vallisneria spiralis
1 x onion plant (? - not in my book)
and
5 x a white I green stripe leafed plant (again not in my book)

I'll check out that website again when I have more time!

I never fertilize any of my tanks and they're all full of healthy plants. I suppose whether or not you need to add minerals would have something to do with the quality of your tap water or whatever water you're using to fill your tanks.

Unfortunately, I suspect that your green and white striped plants, which you couldn't find at tropica.com, are chlorophytum, or spider plants. They're not true aquatic plants, but rather terrestrial plants often sold in fish shops. They will live for a while fully submerged, but they will eventually rot when kept under water.

AquaNut said:
I never fertilize any of my tanks and they're all full of healthy plants. I suppose whether or not you need to add minerals would have something to do with the quality of your tap water or whatever water you're using to fill your tanks.

Unfortunately, I suspect that your green and white striped plants, which you couldn't find at tropica.com, are chlorophytum, or spider plants. They're not true aquatic plants, but rather terrestrial plants often sold in fish shops. They will live for a while fully submerged, but they will eventually rot when kept under water.
They do resemble spider plants but have bulbous roots.

They look great under my lights now that I have clear water!

I'm not sure what you mean by bulbous roots. Spider plants don't develop their root system while still attached to the parent plant via a runner. However, if you take an established chlorophytum from its pot, it will have thick, white, fleshy roots, not long hairy ones.

AquaNut said:
I'm not sure what you mean by bulbous roots. Spider plants don't develop their root system while still attached to the parent plant via a runner. However, if you take an established chlorophytum from its pot, it will have thick, white, fleshy roots, not long hairy ones.
The roots on these resemble soft white bulbs (like on tulips etc) rather than long stringy roots.

I will endevour to find their name, I'm not doubting that they could be spider plants though.

I agree with AquaNut. Don't fertilize! Just add a little more fish food in the tank for the plants each day. If you have crystal clear water. Enjoy it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back