Plant Care

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some beginners plants. Do they need special plant food? I'd like to just be able to plant them and let them go, but is that possible?

I have had some success with "easy" plants like cabomba etc. as a drop and watch but for plants like amazon sword, vallis I have had them just go limp and die on me if they are at least not getting some ferts/co2.

For the simplicity of some yeast CO2 systems (even some will add more than none) I got some decent changes with broad leafs living well and recently discovered the world of powdered fert that you mix with water yourself, about £20 for a year or mores worth, especially in a low-tech tank where your dosing is lower.

If you have minimal lighting, I also suggest that you stay away from red plants, these in my experience really need the lighting + ferts to survive in your tank.

You should dose some kind of plant food really, I don't know what you have available where you live but something like Easylife profito or similar.

I have low lighting also. So do you just add co2 every so often or is it complicated?

Co2 is at absolute best provided during daytime all the time, or if using liquid co2 daily. Ferts can be added weekly in a low tech tank and your co2 is cheapest/easiest as a diy yeast system. Pop into the resource centre for more info on diy yeast co2

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back