Planning To Add These Fish ....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I've had an Elibi Angel (sometimes called a Candy stripe Angel), gorgeous fish and probably my favourite dwarf angel after the Potters Angel:
CandyStripe.jpg

Never had a problem with it apart from my other fish bullied it and sadly it died and was lunch for my Snowflake Moray :-(

There are so many gorgeous fish out there for a sw tank. Really hard to choose. I think for "now" i have come up with my fish list.

- 2x Ocellaris Clownfish (Tank-Bred)
- 1x Six Line Wrasse (Reef-Safe)
- 2x Firefish (1 red, 1 purple)
- 1x Yellowtail Damselfish
- 1x Kaudern's Cardinal
- 1x Royal Gramma

Can i get maybe 2 or 3 royal grammas? Also would 2 Ocellaris Clownfish be fine with each other? What gender would i have to get them?
Thx again every1 :D

There are so many gorgeous fish out there for a sw tank. Really hard to choose. I think for "now" i have come up with my fish list.

- 1x Six Line Wrasse (Reef-Safe)
- 1x Kaudern's Cardinal
- 1x Royal Gramma

Can i get maybe 2 or 3 royal grammas? Also would 2 Ocellaris Clownfish be fine with each other? What gender would i have to get them?
Thx again every1 :D
if i were you i wouldn't add anymore fish than that to be on the safe side & to have a low bio-load. just beware that the sixlines have a pretty horrible reputation, but of course, it really does depend upon the individual fish's personality.

When you say the six-line wrasee has a horrible reputation, do you mean it the "bullying other fish" way or the "nipping corals, mushrooms, polyps ect..." way or the "will make a tasty meal out of your invertebrates" or the "very hard fish to take care of, good luck" way, or some other way?
Should i just drop that fish and maybe go in for another fish??
Also i was planning to get my Ocellaris Clownfish first after my tank is fully ready (hopefully in 2-4 months.) Would this be a good idea, or should i put some other fish first thats more hardier and less terrotorial?

When you say the six-line wrasee has a horrible reputation, do you mean it the "bullying other fish" way or the "nipping corals, mushrooms, polyps ect..." way or the "will make a tasty meal out of your invertebrates" or the "very hard fish to take care of, good luck" way, or some other way?
Should i just drop that fish and maybe go in for another fish??
Also i was planning to get my Ocellaris Clownfish first after my tank is fully ready (hopefully in 2-4 months.) Would this be a good idea, or should i put some other fish first thats more hardier and less terrotorial?
putting in the clowns first is a good idea. they are usually peaceful towards other fish & pretty hardy, too. when i said the sixline has a horrible reputation i meant as in bullying other fish, sometimes to the death. if you have to have the sixline make sure to put it in last. as far as i know sixlines don't nip at corals or eat inverts either. the only things i think they eat aside from prepared foods are copepods.

royal grammas too have a pretty bad rep, but from what i've heard & read on reefcentral, they might not be quite as vivious as the sixlines are known to be. if you want both the sixline & the gramma, try putting them in the tank at the same time and don't add fish after that unless you take them out first.

If the Six-Line Wrasse is causing you concern I can heartily recommend the Leopard Wrasse, a stunning fish, white with multi coloured polka dots. Very active and not shy but leaves everyone and everything alone. They also grow a lot smaller than the Six-Line so will not affect your Bio-load as much.

Yes i think ill go with a Leopard Wrasse :nod:
They are really gorgeous and since they are not as agressive ill definately reasearch more into these fish. I also think ill drop the royal gramma as they tend to have a bad reputation, and replace it with a Elibi Angel :D
Would this be fine?
The angel wouldnt harm my tank in any way would it?

Yes i think ill go with a Leopard Wrasse :nod:
They are really gorgeous and since they are not as agressive ill definately reasearch more into these fish. I also think ill drop the royal gramma as they tend to have a bad reputation, and replace it with a Elibi Angel :D
Would this be fine?
The angel wouldnt harm my tank in any way would it?
it may, any angel can be a risk in a reef. but it depends upon how well fed you keep the fish, and upon the fish's individual personality. some angels are more known to nipping, some are known to be fairly reef safe. i have a coral beauty in my reef & it's a model citizen. it hasn't eaten or even nipped any of the lps or softies i have in my tank. the only thing i ever see it nip is the rock where algae is growing. i keep the angel very well fed in hopes it won't take a liking to my corals.

Are there any angels out there with an approiate size for my tank that wouldnt harm my tank?

There is no guarantees with Angels i'm afraid, different people will have different experiences with the same species. I have kept a Black Velvet Angel, a Swallowtail Angel, a Coral Beauty and an Elibi Angel and never had a single problem with any of them with regards to them nipping my corals or overly harassing my inverts but someone else may have had the exact opposite experience :dunno:

If you choose to get a Dwarf Angel there's a few tips to picking a good one:
  • Watch it feeding (same goes for all fish)
  • Check for obvious signs of illness/infection/damage
  • Put your finger on the glass - immediate reaction should be for the fish to scoot away but it should soon become inquisitive and start to follow your finger round the glass

Since dwarf angels are really gorgeous i've decided that i will get a dwarf angel. If it does start nipping then ill return it.
I know most of the dwarf angels out there, but what can you name a couple that would be fine for my tank?

Here is the list for now then:
- 1x Leopard Wrasse
- 1x Kaudern's Cardinal

I am really leaning towards the blue powder tang. I know it will restrict my stocking-limits but i only plan to have 7-8 fish.
I am also planning to replace the damsel fish with maybe a more colorful fish .... any ideas?
Thx every

:D

I personally wouldn't get a Powder Blue Tang, not only will it restrict your stocking level but the fish itself will not have the room it requires when fully grown. Tangs are not the easiest fish to keep, being rather susceptible to disease, and you would get more benefit from a couple of smaller fish instead IMO.

With regards to the Dwarf Angels, the choice is yours. Find the ones you like and research them for size and tank requirements.

Cardinal's prefer to be in groups of 3 or more (so i'm told) so I would drop the damsel and get two more Cardinals.

Also, with the firefish you'll need a good fitting hood as they are prone to jumping out of tanks and dying on the carpet :sad:

I personally wouldn't get a Powder Blue Tang, not only will it restrict your stocking level but the fish itself will not have the room it requires when fully grown. Tangs are not the easiest fish to keep, being rather susceptible to disease, and you would get more benefit from a couple of smaller fish instead IMO.
K ill drop the tang then ... and go for smaller fish

With regards to the Dwarf Angels, the choice is yours. Find the ones you like and research them for size and tank requirements.
I'll do that but i really like the Elibi Angel so im going to go for that one for now, and hopefully it ownt nip corals.

Cardinal's prefer to be in groups of 3 or more (so i'm told) so I would drop the damsel and get two more Cardinals.
I can get 3 cardinals, but then i would prefer to drop the lepoard wrasee, because it will be to much black and white spooted/dotted fish. Ill rather go for a more colorful fish.
Also, with the firefish you'll need a good fitting hood as they are prone to jumping out of tanks and dying on the carpet :sad:
Dont worry the tank has a good lid. I'll be providing a pic of it hopefully by tommorow.

What fish would you reccomend for my tank that would do fine that are colorful. I know there are alot out there, but lets just imagine you were getting a new tank and this was your fish list, what fish would you add?

Most reactions

Back