Placing My Tank

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
hi everyone

Would an average size bedside table made of pine be able to support a 35 litre aquarium?

Also how often would i have to do a water change for a 35 litre with 1 male betta and 5 otos?would 2 weeks be ok?

thanks everyone
 
I'd do once a week personally, two weeks is pushing it abit in my opinion.

As for the table - if its sturdy enough, I don't see why not. 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo, stick another 10k's on top to cover weight of tank, fish and gravel/decor and you're looking at about 45 kilo's.

I'm guessing you weigh more than 50 kilo's so a quick and dirty way of finding out it sitting on the table. If its sturdy and theres no give, it should be okay. That is just a loose rule of thumb though, so don't blame me if it goes wrong :)
 
your tank should be fine i have one of similar size on a rickety old structure, its been there for 6 months and all is fine. I do 30-40% weekly but that just depends on your filtration, plus mine is packed with plants so needs more regular water changes to get rid of the decaying plant matter.
 
yeah i would go with weekley water changes as a pose to 2 weekley.. as for the table, sorry i cant comment, as i always word it wrongley then get ripped for it :lol:
 
Thanks for repyling everyone


Id be happy to do a weekly water change but my mum is already fussing about doing a 2 week water change with my other tank!Is there any way i can do a water change every 2 weeks - lose some otos? The tank would have live plants (java fern/moss) in it, if this helps.
 
Thanks for repyling everyone


Id be happy to do a weekly water change but my mum is already fussing about doing a 2 week water change with my other tank!Is there any way i can do a water change every 2 weeks - lose some otos? The tank would have live plants (java fern/moss) in it, if this helps.


Don't know if you're interested in going low-maintenance?
Because otherwise it's rather difficult not to risk stressing your fish by not doing weekly changes...
I expect I'm rather a pest generally with suggesting this, but I'm pretty pleased (obsessed) with the Walstad method.
Anyway, here's a discussion among people who've tried it.

http://tgvas.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1716
 
Theres no magical alternative to water changes, unless you consider going down the walstad route - which appears (and I don't claim to know much about it) to be a high maintenance startup.

For conventional fishkeepers it boils down to this: change water often and know your fish are happy or don't change water often and know that they won't be as happy. You can cut back on feeding but in all honesty, for your size of tank a water change will take literally five minutes. Can't you spare an extra five minutes a week? I've got 5 active tanks, I do a 30% water change on each tank and that takes me total of half an hour, doing things the old fashioned way - and with different tanks on 3 different floors.
 
I'd be much happier doing a water change once a week and if itell my mum it would only take five minutes i think she'll be ok about it.

thanks everyone
 

Most reactions

Back
Top