Piranhas

mackay55

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 180 litre fish tank and I was wondering could I keep Piranhas don't no what kind if so how many.

Unlikely: most common species of piranha grow quite large and need to be kept in large groups so they don't kill each other off.

having kept 9 red bellys a while back in a 750 litre tank I;d certainly suggest you need more space to keep them properly, they are big fish, pretty boring to keep in my opinion and very messy feeders that require a lot of maintenance due to the diet and how messy they are when they eat

A few of the Serrasalmus Piranha species would be suitable, S.sanchezi or S.compressus come to mind,

but as said, for most, they turn out to be a highly disappointing species to keep.

I absolutely love my red belly piranhas. I have 4 and had them for around 4 months or more now. No regrets what so ever in getting them, if its something you really want then i say go for it and don't look back. I tried gouramis, plecos, cichlids, tetras etc... Wasn't for me though. As for them being messy eaters, yes, they are in a sense. As long as you have enough filtration then you will be fine. I have mine in a 55 gallon (250 litre) along with an all pond solution external filter. It's the EF2000 model suitable for up to 1000 litre tanks. It's more than enough to handle the piranhas messy eating. I change 20% of their water every week and even at the end of the week there is no mess left in the tank. The filters are only tops of £60 too which is an absolute bargain. As for your tank you could get away with 2 red bellys but they may turn on each other as they get older. I would suggest to just keeping 1. It will be more than happy in a tank that size. I know it is recommended to keep them in groups but a friend of mine has kept a single 1 for years with no problems. Hope you get what your looking for :)

I agree, a small Serrasalmus species will be ideal.

Think Rhombeus, Manueli, Elongatus (not for life, but both tend to be slow growers)

Compressus, Sanchezi, Spilo, Maculatus (will do for life, if not a long time)

I'm getting 4 red bellies and a 300 ltr tank.. Is it enough space for them? There all 2" In Size

I'm getting 4 red bellies and a 300 ltr tank.. Is it enough space for them? There all 2" In Size
its fine for them at that size but if yuo're serious about getting and keeping them id go for a bigger tank than 300 litre and aim for around the 500lite mark.

Most reactions

Back