Pimples On Fishes Head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

drufly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This ? is about my Oranda, i no its not tropical but the cold water thread is sooo slow.

My Oranda is about 7 months old now, the tank was treated 2 months ago for internal infections but the oranda has now got what look like yellow pimples like what teenagers get.

Does anybody know what these are?

How many gallons is the tank.
How may fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrite, and ph.

Yellow spots can be velvet to yellow grub, how big are the spots.
Any signs of laboured breathing or flicking and rubbing against objects in the tank.
Shine a torch on the head region to see if the spots glow up a golden colour, turn tanks lights out first.

Take a look under yellow grub and velvet.
http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

Not sure of the gal but its 50 ltr, they are being moved into a bigger tank
the fish are in my sig
nitrite .025
ph 6.6
No flicking or anyother signs of stress

The filter i bought is bigger than needed, i no its over stocked but i am moving them to a bigger tank in a few months
TYhink i answered the ?s

So you only have the ph test kit.
Does the yelow spot have any redness around the edges or a red centre.

Columnaris spots are usually a greyish white with a tinging of red so I doubt its that.
Have you added any new smails to your tank.

ph and nitrite which is 0.25

LFS reconed they are the commonly used ones
As for red its a no just look excatly pimples

Have you shined a torch on the fish yet.

Don't know what they are then.
Have you read that yellow grub article.
If there no signs of flicking and rubbing dosn't sound like velvet.

Yellow Grub

Symptoms:

Infected fish exhibit small yellow spots approximately 2 millimeters in diameter. These yellow spots can be found anywhere on the body and fins. Cysts may also be present in the internal organs.

Cause:

Larvae of digenetic worms, Cercaria and Metacercaria. The yellow spots on the fish’s body and fins contain larvae of di-genetic flukes. The larvae are introduced into the aquarium or pond by fish-eating birds who ingest fish infected with the parasite. Once ingested, the parasites mature in the intestines of the bird, where they produce eggs. The eggs are then deposited into the water with their droppings, where they infect the livers of aquatic snails. The snail allows the parasites to develop into a second and third larval form before migrating to a fish host. Due to this parasite’s complex life cycle, it is most common in pond-kept fish.

Treatment:

First remove all snails from the aquarium or pond so as to end the cycle of infection. Treatment is rarely necessary. Minor infestations tend to clear without treatment as the larvae will eventually die and be absorbed by the host's immune system. In severe cases, however, treating the water with Copper Sulfate may prove helpful.

Has the goldlfish ever been kept in a pond or with snails.

No but it worth ruling it out.
How long did you use the bacterial med for.
The pimples they don't form a cluster of eggs do they.

When i 1st dosed the fish was about 2 months maybe 2 1/2 months. Doswed them for about 3 wks as they all showed symtoms.

The spots are approx 3mm apart, there is a couple together but they dont look like eggs
Ill try to get pics l8r but cant promise anything as they are soo small.

Have to sign out the bos aint to pleased atm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back