Pihranas

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

blakenkayla

Reaction score
I was wondering about pihranas. I know they are aggressive, but is there any other fish that can be put in with them?

Some people had success with common and bristlnose plecos :good: , as they are semi agressive, and can stand up to the harsh beatings of the prihanas

Exodon paradoxus / bucktooth tetras will be fine granted there's adequate tank space for both. E. paradoxus only get 3 inches in captivity.

It's also worth mentioning that if you want some exodons, don't keep any more then 8, or 10 to be safe.

Any less then that and they will eventually pick each other off.

What size tank are we talking here? and what sp. of pihrana?

I was just thinking about getting a 20-30 gallon tank and about 2 red bellied piranhas from the local pet store, but I think Im going to wait on them. I was thinking about pacus...what about them? Are they good with other fish? Such as tropical community like tetras and mollies?

I was just thinking about getting a 20-30 gallon tank and about 2 red bellied piranhas from the local pet store, but I think Im going to wait on them. I was thinking about pacus...what about them? Are they good with other fish? Such as tropical community like tetras and mollies?

Please, I know this is a forum for asking questions about fish, but it's not hard to google "pacu" or "pacu care" or "red-bellied piranha care" and figure out what tank size they need and what type of community they can live in. After you do research you should ask specific or at least research-backed questions here. Idk, maybe it's just me.

Don't even bother with pacus if you're looking at a 20-30g tank. Unless you want to times that size of tank by 6, don't even bother with Pacus lol, as they easily grow over 30 inches. They're considered "vegetarian piranhas" but if you house an enormous one w/ small community fish and it's hungry, the inevitable will happen.

black%20pacu%20record.jpg

Also, you're much better off with a bigger tank for the piranha's anyway, as they are best kept in schools and do grow large, they wouldn't be happy in a 20 or 30g, regardless of what websites say. I know I just said "research research research" then said websites sometimes suck, but it's true. However hypocritical I seem lol....they are a shoaling species and yes, ONE can live in a 20g, it won't be happy, and won't act like a typical cool piranha which is probably why you bought it. It most likely won't move, and just be completely boring (which isn't too far off from normal behaviour but w/e).

I'd go with at least a 55 for a couple, or 75g for a small school. Preferably something like 90g and up though.

i kept them in a twenty for a year then switched them to a 55 and they are fine

Yup, so fine they they've stopped growing because fish only grow to their environment!!!

Also I heard that white spot is in every tank so watch out!!!!!!

Oh and Pacus only get to about 4 inches in capitivity because I kept them in 30g!!

Yep, very clever.

Yup, so fine they they've stopped growing because fish only grow to their environment!!!

Oh and Pacus only get to about 4 inches in capitivity because I kept them in 30g!!

Yep, very clever.

You scared me lots. You can't be serious about it. Pacu can outgrowing your tank anyways. All of fishes always keeping growing for their whole lives, no matter how small their spaces are. Please don't encourage anyone who can kept pacu (unless its parrot pacu or silver dollar species) in 30 or 55gal. I learned out in harsh way when I got a baby pacu few years ago then it grew up to 12 inch long and I had to killed it. Glad I'm not miss my pacu lots.

Yep, very clever.

You scared me lots. You can't be serious about it. Pacu can outgrowing your tank anyways. All of fishes always keeping growing for their whole lives, no matter how small their spaces are. Please don't encourage anyone who can kept pacu (unless its parrot pacu or silver dollar species) in 30 or 55gal. I learned out in harsh way when I got a baby pacu few years ago then it grew up to 12 inch long and I had to killed it. Glad I'm not miss my pacu lots.

Back to piranhas. The general rule is at least 25g per red belly piranha.

75g minimum for 3 rbp's and need to be in a group of at least 3 in almost all cases or they will kill each other off.

Exo's won't work with piranhas as they will soon become an expensive snack. Nothing that swims around will be good for piranhas. In some cases plecos work but it's hit and miss and that's ONLY with the Pygo's. Nothing can be added to Serra's at all in general.

Pacu's would be a bad idea and get eaten in time. They have no way of defending themselves in a shoal of piranhas.

Most reactions

Back