Pictures Dwarf Gouramis(cobalt) Laying Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chipie

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two females dwarf gourami that one was supposed to be a Red Fire and the other a Cobalt. Now i know they are the same except for the slight color variation(one has light blue stipes and the other is silver) I have males Dwarf cobalt and red fire.

Tonight to my surprise the female that i thought was red fire was mating with the Male Cobalt.

Here are a few pictures of the two going at it. LOL :wub:

Here the female is poking the male to let him know it's time to rumble.
cobaltrepro00002_RJ.jpg

Here they get into an embrasse.
cobaltrepro00008_RJ.jpg

And here are the eggs coming out.
cobaltrepro00009_RJ.jpg

I've looked for informations on the way they mate and found a lot of information but never pictures. So i thought i would share this with you. Hope you enjoy.

Hi again,
Well there must be something in the water LOL.
The Cobalts where spawning Friday evening. This morning it was some of my Neon Tetras doing it. Last week the Leopard Danios.
And tonight. Surprise ! The Red Fire Gouramis where spawning also.

RedFirepro00028.jpg

RedFirepro00027.jpg

RedFirepro00025.jpg

RedFirepro00018.jpg

RedFirepro00006_RJ-1.jpg

I just can't beleive it. All at the same time? And my Honey gouramis seems very interested in each other the last few days also. LOL oh my........

well well well randy little things arent they lol have you done anything different of late? im trying to get my gouramis to breed but nothing i do works. my livebearers breed like mad, as do my snails and bn plecos yet alas the gouramis do not. im diong everything ive read about been told about at work yet nada :(

Beautiful pictures and congratulations! :thumbs: I also see your honey male in some of the first few pics and he looks in wonderful condition - it wouldn't be surprising at all if they spawned next!

BTW, check your tap's pH. Has it changes since last you checked? I'd suspect something like this to be - at least in part - responsible for all this 'spawning in unison' lol Though it helps that all the fish look in great condition :)

Beautiful pictures and congratulations! :thumbs: I also see your honey male in some of the first few pics and he looks in wonderful condition - it wouldn't be surprising at all if they spawned next!

BTW, check your tap's pH. Has it changes since last you checked? I'd suspect something like this to be - at least in part - responsible for all this 'spawning in unison' lol Though it helps that all the fish look in great condition :)

Hi ,
Yes i think the Honey Gouramis and my Pearl Gouramis are about to do the same. See

Look at his colors.
Pearlmleorange.jpg

She is plump to say the least.
diversgoura00037.jpg

And for the Honey gouramis (sorry about the blurry pictures,they don't stop moving)
honey2.jpg

She's about to burst, lol
diversgoura00034.jpg

Has for the PH, you are right. After seeing all this exictement in my tank. I checked and yes the PH has dropped again(It's at 7).(It was lower last time i tested also at 7,3) And it was usually at 7.6

What happened is that i just bought a new 60 gallon tank and transfered these guys in it. I aslo put new gravel(silica) with some of the old gravel to transfer bacteria.
In my other tank which has the old gravel, the Ph always got up to 7,6 after a while. My tap water is at 7.

So it seems that the silica which is not supposed to change the ph is doing just that now that i've pulled out the old gravel.
I also added floating plants which they love, added lots of new water to fill the 60 gallon(on top of the old water from the 37 gallon) equaling to a large water change. And of course feed them high protein food like blood worms and tubiflex.

I guess a combinaison of all those things triggered the spawning. I will be testing often to make sure everything goes well.

Do you feed the fry on infusoria? I hear they need tiny tiny food. Lovely pictures, you are tempting me.

Do you feed the fry on infusoria? I hear they need tiny tiny food. Lovely pictures, you are tempting me.

Hi,
Well didn't have infusoria so i used egg yolk. I also added snails and some Java fern since i was told Java fern usually have infusoria on it and that the snails produce infusoria. And the snails are great at cleaning the leftover food and keep the Nitrates in check.
I also feed baby brine shrimps. Then i finally found some liquid fry food. That can take the place of the egg yolk. Now i feed a powdered fry food since they are big enough to eat it. I also have some cherry shrimps taking care of the left over food. That allows to make less water changes.

I only had maybe 25 eggs so i'm happy with the 5 i've got right now. If i was to try this again, i'm sure the survival rate would be much better since i now know a bit more about raising gourami frys. They are so small when they hatch, you can hardly see them. They have grown quite a bit since i took the picture. They are at the point where they develop their Labyrinthe. It's going fine until now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You should try raising fry, it's so much fun seeing them grow.
I'll try to take other pictures to show you how they have grown.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Much appreciated :)

The apple snail tank we have at the LFS is constantly cloudy due to the mass amount of infusoria :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Much appreciated :)

The apple snail tank we have at the LFS is constantly cloudy due to the mass amount of infusoria :rolleyes:

Yes and the boiled egg yolk i just press through a nylon stocking so you get tiny pieces coming out. That worked great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back