Pics of my Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishkeeperLinz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my fish tanks.

First, is my 200ltr, which I posted on my Intro thread. I've added another piece of driftwood since then, but it's otherwise exactly the same.

South American Tank (with a wayward Java Fern plant).
Tank Inhabitants:.
19 Neon Tetra,
2 Electric Blue Rams
1 BN Plec
received_218299455931074.jpeg

In terms of decor, there are 5, pieces of driftwood, 2 coconut halves, and the leaf litter. Filter is a Fluval 305 canister.

120ltr South East Asian tank
Tank Inhabitants
13 Glowlight Rasboras
1 Pearl Gourami
received_595164401087073.jpeg

Decor consists of the 3 pieces of driftwood atm, and some vallis, but this tank is destined for a makeover. I have some Indian almond leaves soaking in a bucket in the bathroom, which will be shared between both tanks once they sink. I also plan to get some more Java Fern and maybe some moss.
Filter is a Hidom internal.

Some nice bits of wood there, you could do a lot with them. I'm think moss, anubias java fern etc. Not South American I know but would look good. Your sword look a little ragged. Maybe some fertiliser tabs would help them.

Some nice bits of wood there, you could do a lot with them. I'm think moss, anubias java fern etc. Not South American I know but would look good. Your sword look a little ragged. Maybe some fertiliser tabs would help them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I live in a software area, KH is 2°, and IME, too many plants seem to raise pH (the 120 was once heavily planted and pH was 8. It's now back down to 7), so I'm keeping plants to a minimum, unfortunately, and sticking to wood. It's a shame, as I would love a planted tank.

I'm planning on adding some lava rock or dragon stone or some other inert rocks/stone for added interest. :)

I'm not very far from you, my KH is 3. I have a lot of plants of the type that grow attached to decor, and water sprite as a floating plant. They have not affected my pH at all.

The South American tank - you mention a 'wayward java fern'. Is that the plant rooted in the substrate or are the rhizomes above the substrate - it's hard to see with all the leaf littler :)

I'm not very far from you, my KH is 3. I have a lot of plants of the type that grow attached to decor, and water sprite as a floating plant. They have not affected my pH at all.

The South American tank - you mention a 'wayward java fern'. Is that the plant rooted in the substrate or are the rhizomes above the substrate - it's hard to see with all the leaf littler :)

Well, that's strange, because there's nothing else in either of the tanks that could/would raise pH. :S

As for the Java Fern, it was small, and attached to one of the pieces of wood. I've taken it out now and placed it to the 120. :)

I would have thought that any effect on PH by plants would be minimal. I'll wait and see if Byron comments on this. He will know if anyone does.

Well, I have never heard of plants raising the pH, and though I am not a trained botanist I still can't image how they could. There is a diurnal fluctuation in pH, it will be lower in the early morning (after the night darkness, due to the accumulation of natural CO2) and highest at the end of the tank light period (the "daytime") due to the plants using the CO2. This var5iance occurs in natural water courses too, and fish do not have issues with it as it is not extensive, usually just a couple of decimal points. The GH and KH can also change, depending. Or perhaps some other factor...substrate, fertilzers, etc.

I agree with Munroco that the swords in the first tank need substrate tabs. For largish plants like swords, since they are heavy feeders, the substrate tabs work wonders, providing supplemental nutrients to the plants but not into the water column (if you use the Flourish Tabs by Seachem anyway).

Well, I have never heard of plants raising the pH, and though I am not a trained botanist I still can't image how they could. There is a diurnal fluctuation in pH, it will be lower in the early morning (after the night darkness, due to the accumulation of natural CO2) and highest at the end of the tank light period (the "daytime") due to the plants using the CO2. This var5iance occurs in natural water courses too, and fish do not have issues with it as it is not extensive, usually just a couple of decimal points. The GH and KH can also change, depending. Or perhaps some other factor...substrate, fertilzers, etc.

I agree with Munroco that the swords in the first tank need substrate tabs. For largish plants like swords, since they are heavy feeders, the substrate tabs work wonders, providing supplemental nutrients to the plants but not into the water column (if you use the Flourish Tabs by Seachem anyway).

I know about the natural daily fluctuations in pH, but I wasn't testing before lights went on and before I turned them off again. I was testing before the lights went on - and about 5mins afterwards.

From what I've read on the internet, (and I've been looking into this for months, on and off) plants can raise pH, possibly as a byproduct of photosynthesis and the release of oxygen into the water. I seem to recall it was the oxygen levels that raise pH, which would make sense (at least, it does to me), as we all know CO2 can lower it.

From what I've read on the internet, (and I've been looking into this for months, on and off) plants can raise pH, possibly as a byproduct of photosynthesis and the release of oxygen into the water. I seem to recall it was the oxygen levels that raise pH, which would make sense (at least, it does to me), as we all know CO2 can lower it.

I would welcome any links to such information, just so I can learn. I have never seen this anywhere, among the literature on plants in the hobby anyway, and I still cannot see how plants can raise pH beyond what I explained previously.

The oxygen/CO2 point is mistaken though. CO2 increasing lowers pH sometimes, but it has nothing to do with oxygen levels. The CO2 produces carbonic acid, and as this accumulatees the pH will tend to lower. However, the extent to which this will occur depends upon the GH and KH; if these are low, the lowering pH will occur more rapidly than if the GH and KH are high. With sufficient GH and KH as buffers, the pH may not lower at all, up to the point when the acid is beyond the capacity of the "buffering."

I would welcome any links to such information, just so I can learn. I have never seen this anywhere, among the literature on plants in the hobby anyway, and I still cannot see how plants can raise pH beyond what I explained previously.

The oxygen/CO2 point is mistaken though. CO2 increasing lowers pH sometimes, but it has nothing to do with oxygen levels. The CO2 produces carbonic acid, and as this accumulatees the pH will tend to lower. However, the extent to which this will occur depends upon the GH and KH; if these are low, the lowering pH will occur more rapidly than if the GH and KH are high. With sufficient GH and KH as buffers, the pH may not lower at all, up to the point when the acid is beyond the capacity of the "buffering."

Not necessarily relating to the hobby, but more "scientific" than the one above;
[/URL]

Last edited:
Thank you. Here is my response.

Link 1, "Effect of Aquarium Plants on pH," is actually much of what I have posted. The diurnal pH fluctuation occurs as i said and he explains. The assimilation of calcium I also covered in my comment about GH and KH in post #9. I do not see these as significant pH adjustments, but if these minimal fluctuations diurnally is all you meant, we agree. And, this is a regular daily adjustment, so taken in context, the pH over time is not changing at all.

Link 2 doesn't allow me access.

Thank you. Here is my response.

Link 1, "Effect of Aquarium Plants on pH," is actually much of what I have posted. The diurnal pH fluctuation occurs as i said and he explains. The assimilation of calcium I also covered in my comment about GH and KH in post #9. I do not see these as significant pH adjustments, but if these minimal fluctuations diurnally is all you meant, we agree. And, this is a regular daily adjustment, so taken in context, the pH over time is not changing at all.

Link 2 doesn't allow me access.

The fact remains the process of photosynthesis (and therefore plants) affect the pH of the water. OK, I was wrong about how, but by removing CO2 from the water, plant indirectly cause pH to rise.

I've tried a planted tank set-up, and for whatever reason, it didn't work for me, so I'm going down a different route. So why do I feel the need to defend myself?

All I wanted to do was share pics of my tanks. :fish::good::p

The fact remains the process of photosynthesis (and therefore plants) affect the pH of the water. OK, I was wrong about how, but by removing CO2 from the water, plant indirectly cause pH to rise.

I've tried a planted tank set-up, and for whatever reason, it didn't work for me, so I'm going down a different route. So why do I feel the need to defend myself?

All I wanted to do was share pics of my tanks. :fish::good::p

You raised an issue which several members found confusing, and we've sorted it out. As a new member you will come to discover that when you post on this forum, there are a number of us who care passionately for fish, and want all aquarists to have success. This leads us to point out issues or problems when we see them--because we care. Other members read threads, and those who are new aquarists may take away misunderstanding or misconceptions about this or that, and for the benefit of all of us it is important and helpful to make observations and have informed discussions. :drinks:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back