Ph Of My Tap Water Has Dropped By Quite A Lot!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

214jay said:
It is rather odd, shame they couldn't remove some of the nitrates whilst they were there!
Ā 
laugh.png
Ā That would be nice!
Ā 
My tap water nitrates is usually around 30ppm!

Ā 
laugh.png
Ā That would be nice!
Ā 
My tap water nitrates is usually around 30ppm!
Ā 
Yeah mine are the same, although difficult to read the tests are definitely a very dark shade of orange!!Ā  What sort of water changes do you do Ch4rlie?Ā  I'm never sure what a 'safe' nitrate level is for fish, though the plants probably help.

I do about 35% water changes every week.
Ā 
I don't really worry about nitrates as long as it stays below 40ppm in the tank.
Ā 
And yup, can be annoying trying to read which colour nitrates test matches exactly on the colour chart! (I use the API liquid test one)

Thats relieving to hear, I do worry with having high nitrates out of the tap water.Ā  Its funny though as my waterboard provides online data for my area and lists it as 17.23ppm - Would love to get a true reading.Ā  I'm using the API too, bit of a pain to use!Ā  I would love to get a digital Nitrate tester and know for sure...still on the hunt for one!!

Digital testersĀ 
drool.gif

Ā 
Oh, now, I would certainly go for one of those if they test for everything needed, pH, nitrite, ammonia and nitrate of course!Ā 
Ā 
Let us know as soon as you find one does all that and at a decent priceĀ 
wink.png

Ā 
EDIT : as for nitrate levels, I think anything from 80 to 160ppm is really the sort of levels I would worry about.Ā 
Thats of course dependant on which species of fish you have, some more sensitive to nitrates than othersĀ 
confused.gif

I think you can get them all separately but that would cost uber amounts of cash!!Ā  Have found a Nitrate tester for around Ā£200 but it still needs a powder adding to it....Though after nealy dislocating my arm shaking those vials its sounding more tempting!
Ā 
Ah okay, should all be okay then, the plants seem to keep the nitrate fairly low anyway!

Have just tested my tap water pH just out of curiosity.
Ā 
Its basically at either 7.4 or 7.6 depending which test you use, high range or normal range pH test solution!Ā 
Ā 
Thats a drop from the normal 7.8 to 8.0 I usually get straight from tap and 24 hour standing water in a glass which I did about 2 months ago.
Ā 
Gonna test stand glass of water in 24 hours time and see where that gets me. Nowhere probably! lol
Ā 
Are you based in Surrey by any chance jay?

I meant if you have the same water board as I do in Surrrey, that would help to explain why our tap pH levels are dropping at pretty much the same time.

Hmmmm, nope, I'm in Coventry, covered by Severn Trent Water so different provider I think.Ā  Strange that yours has changed also!

hmmĀ 
sad2.gif

Ā 
Lets hope water pH does not swing too much when adding to tank otherwise shrimps will go loco!

Yeah, sent one of mine wild!!! At least I know why and he survived!!

Another way (if you can) is to go to a hardware store (like b&q if your in the UK) and buy a large water canister/buttĀ 
Get some marine gravel from a pet store (it sets ph to around 8.2) or rocks that do the same, set them in the bottom and leave them foreverĀ 
Use your hose to fill the canister and just take what you need when you need it, and refill it after :)
Ā 
the water canisters are fairly cheap too, depends on your seriousness of keeping fish

Ā 
Another way (if you can) is to go to a hardware store (like b&q if your in the UK) and buy a large water canister/buttĀ 
Get some marine gravel from a pet store (it sets ph to around 8.2) or rocks that do the same, set them in the bottom and leave them foreverĀ 
Use your hose to fill the canister and just take what you need when you need it, and refill it after
smile.png

Ā 
the water canisters are fairly cheap too, depends on your seriousness of keeping fish
That is quite a good idea, a great way of keeping the PH at a balance.Ā  I am happy my PH has lowered myself but an interesting idea, I guess that method could probably be used to lower PH in some way also...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back