Pfk This Month

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
6,754
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
BARRY,s.wales
i have noticed that if you subscribe they will send you a API master testing kit, i already have, so if you havent got a kit then subscribe, the magazine is fab and so is the gift, its well worth it .tonnes of great advice n there, personnaly im a big fan of it (the pics are fab) :hyper:

am i allowed to say this. hmmm oh well said it now :) go to the pfk website to subscribe :)

shelaghx
 
A test kit? Pah. When I subscribed I got a deal on a 5.5g nano cube :P

Joking aside, I find it worth a read. It's not amazing, but I'm not like those people that think they're too good for it.
 
well i was debating weather to go for the test kit or see what they had on offer next month, but yes i know some of you jammy buggers got a tank, i would have loved that,, but ive done it now, no regretts, i love the mag :)
but I'm not like those people that think they're too good for it.
ey,never too good for georgous photos,especially when they are George Farmers tanks
 
Hi Shelagh,

I too like PFK. It's a good read most of the time, and has some very informative articles. I don't always agree with the advice / info, but generally its ok.

As an example, this month there is the article about setting up a local species seawater tank, and the guy goes on about leaving the tank for a couple of weeks before adding livestock to let the water 'balance out'. What absolute rubbish! Makes him sound like a novice who has taken bad advice from his LFS, not someone writing for PFK. He doesn't even mention cycling the tank (from memory) just letting the water balance out. Nonsense!

Anyway, things like that seem to be becoming less frequent, and they are more pro-active in advocating the likes of the fishless cycle every month.

I buy PFK every month religiously but haven't subscribed yet. I'm waiting for an offer which i'd benefit from.

Cheers

BTT
 
Hi Shelagh,

I too like PFK. It's a good read most of the time, and has some very informative articles. I don't always agree with the advice / info, but generally its ok.

As an example, this month there is the article about setting up a local species seawater tank, and the guy goes on about leaving the tank for a couple of weeks before adding livestock to let the water 'balance out'. What absolute rubbish! Makes him sound like a novice who has taken bad advice from his LFS, not someone writing for PFK. He doesn't even mention cycling the tank (from memory) just letting the water balance out. Nonsense!

Anyway, things like that seem to be becoming less frequent, and they are more pro-active in advocating the likes of the fishless cycle every month.

I buy PFK every month religiously but haven't subscribed yet. I'm waiting for an offer which i'd benefit from.

Cheers

BTT


Indeed.

I think that overall their advice is pretty good, I am particularly surprised that they recommend fishless cycling as it is not yet considered the 'official' (if there is such a thing) way of starting up a tank, and they are quite possibly completely contradicting the advice of an lfs so risk alienating certain readers. However they still, admirably, seem to resist going the easy way of saying "listen to your lfs" and rather give advice like true 'hobbyists'.
 
yeah i read that article on fishless cycling, i was surprised to see it there to be honest,goodness knows why,
another thing i read was the article on new tank syndrome, iwas lead to believe that this showed itself as cloudy/milky water.. but no mention of it in the article, i was probably thinking of something else.
loved Nmonks bit about catfish too, that explains a lot as far as these fish go :)
 
You guys have better magazines than we do in the US. I didn't get anything with TFH, but there's one at the LFS that has a special offer for a poster of Tanganyika cichlids if you buy a year subscription.
 
another thing i read was the article on new tank syndrome, iwas lead to believe that this showed itself as cloudy/milky water.. but no mention of it in the article, i was probably thinking of something else.

New Tank Syndrome doesn't always show itself as cloudy water Shelagh. The cloudy water is a Bacterial Bloom. These often go hand in hand, but not always.

Contrary to popular belief, 'New Tank Syndrome' is often a result of the 'Bacterial Bloom', and not the other way round.

If you want to learn more on bacterial blooms, there is an article in my sig which i wrote a while back. (I keep meaning to finish it actually. Maybe i'll do that tonight?)

loved Nmonks bit about catfish too, that explains a lot as far as these fish go :)

Yeah, i always find that Neale and George's articles are very good. Its some of the other guys who i don't always agree with.

Geo, i agree, commend them on the fishless cycling advice, and the magazine is generally very good to read. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top