Petting Platys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zenki

Reaction score
Well crazy enough one of my platys was chilling at the top and let me pet him for a second. It was kinda odd, i know my oldest gold dojo will just about let me pick him up,but i never imagined petting a platy.

Either way i want to know if done in moderation if it would cause any harm to the fish. i think it would make a cool pic

To be honest I'm not quite sure- I pet platys too :lol: but I think the oils on our skin damages a protective coating on theirs, so best to do it in moderation.

I've always got my hands in my fish tank doing bots and bobs and my Molly's let me pick them up obv I cup my hands so they have water for a split second but they are good as gold.

My kids put there hands in my tank ( once cleaned vigorously ) and my fish peck their hands and fingers. I've not seen any harm or any of my fish act any different from doing this plus it makes me happy to be involving my kids with my hobby and they enjoy it as we'll which is a bonus.

If I choose to change my stock that will have teeth or get a bit nasty my kids won't be allowed to put their hands in their for safety reasons obv but I don't think I'll be having anything like that for a few years.

mine pet themselves on me if i dont pet them. but i try to limit it to when im doing cleanings.

MMy platties peck at my fingers and crowd around my hand when im doing stuff, they're always curious and hungry

MMy platties peck at my fingers and crowd around my hand when im doing stuff, they're always curious and hungry

Same, once when I wasn't quite paying attention, I was fixing my glass diffusor and one of them decided to swim on top of it as I was taking it out and surprised me when there was a fish flapping on my diffusor o___________o

And once I was cleaning the glass with a sponge, and one of the platys again swam on top of the sponge ~_~ lucky he didn't get squished!! :lol:

Whenever sombody wants to get a new pet they always say no to a fish because they say "no, I can't play with it". That is not true, just get some mollies and they will get to LOVE YOU. Whenever I take my lid off my tank one of my dalmation mollies will come and wait for me to stick my finger in for her to nibble on. And in my case the guppies even nibble sometimes. For your question I think slimeneo is right, the oils on our skin does not help the fish. I do have to admit I pet my fish too :lol: .

Most reactions

trending

Back