PetStupid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i swear these people will say anything to make money.... i want to go in there and ask stupid questions like "is it OK to keep 10 angels in a 10 gallon tank full of raw sewage?".

a customer said "i think my tank was to big for them (referring to angels) so i moved them to a 10 gallon. all of them died lastnight...." later i overheard her saying "this is my 8th angel this month. i hope this one lives" the employee smiling and nodding her head was one who once told me about this place called the wet spot... the best freaking fresh water store in town ... they deal with only FRESH water... then when i said "you shouldn't have told me about that... now I'm gonna shop there.." she followed up with "oh they deal with saltwater blah blah blah i have a 1000G reef tank at my house" thats when i knew she was full of crap....
any way this lady buying her "8th angel this month" was told to purchase 3 to "insure that one lives" WTF? who the F falls for this?? why is this lady flushing cash down the drane... on top of that what kind of fish keeper sleeps at night knowing that they just sent 3 angels to there death in a 10g most likely uncycled tank..... now if these where cats and this lady came in saying " this is my 8th cat this month" any pet shop wold turn down this customer and the cops might get involved (animal neglect) also if the guy said "you should buy 3 kittens for that shoe box" he wold get fired. this is all wrong! i wish i cold do something to get places like pet smart shut down or regulated....

even tho this was a while back it still rubs me the wrong way... sorry to anyone who actually read this pointless rant.... i just gotta put in my 2 cents about petsmart...

also whats with people like this (the customer) why wold anyone not even care whats killing there pets? who wouldn't question the quality of fish/water after spending at least $80 on angel fish?? I'm guessing this is the type of lady who says to herself "gee these fish wold go good with the drapes".....

Uggh. Yeah, that would annoy me. I would of went up to the lady and been like.. this guy has no idea what he is talking about, he is paid to sale things. That's it. Alot of the people who work in those places don't really care.. I mean, even if they do- they don't know what they are talking about and they think that they do.. which is a very dangerous thing.

And uhm... a tank being to big for a fish?
..And a 10 gallon for angels?! Sheesh... :angry:

i like to keep to myself in petshops......
when you talk to people about how to car for there pets they get too defensive and i cant handle it..... when people get like that i go into HULK mode..... its not purdy.

example: i have a verry good friend who insists that his 6 balla shrks are just fine with his 2 pl*co, 6 barbs and 6 glass fish in a 55G.... me and him dont talk fish anymore....

god if someone came up to me and said "i wouldn't do that if i was you if you wanna waste £50 give it to me instead" i'd bloody listen its always better to listen to their opinium then kill a load of fish and feel real guilty...

kiss kiss
godzuki

I think that employee was very wrong in directing that lady. If the manager or 'surprise customer' (a 'spy' who checks up on Petsmart employees to make sure they are doing their job) heard what that employee was saying, she would have gotten in large troubble!

I don't think that Petsmart was gaining any sales out of that customer at all- they have a 2 week garantee if a fish dies.

I work at Petsmart and I try to give the best advice possible. Many employees there only have the job for a short while, a few months and then they move on. So maybe they just do not care. It is just a job to them. But please, just because a few (too many really) employees say very retarded things, don't bash the whole franchise.

The majority of employees at my local Petsmart seem to at least try to do the right thing most of the time. They take the time to ask what size tank the fish are going into, and what other fish you have, etc. And if you're having problems with fish dying and such, they always encourage you to bring in a water sample to have it tested for free. I don't think a lot of people take them up on the offer, but at least they make the attempt.

The only thing that I've witnessed at our local Petsmart that bothers me is them selling goldfish to people who are carrying a tiny goldfish bowl or a 1-2 gallon tank obviously planning to use it for the fish. :(

The only thing that I've witnessed at our local Petsmart that bothers me is them selling goldfish to people who are carrying a tiny goldfish bowl or a 1-2 gallon tank obviously planning to use it for the fish.
Yea, that really pisses me off too. I asked my manager why we allow it and she said, "Some people just want to do their own thing- I have tried telling them so many times but they just reem me out saying it's for their child and they do not want to spend a lot of money on a stupid fish- that's when I stoped carring so much; you just can't tell some people"-Danelle, lead specialty from store 0921.

NickT where are located?

Because even though I do not purchase fish from my local Petsmart, I am always in there buying other things. Also, my gf has a cat, and our Petsmart has a vet inside of it.

I never seen nothing that bad going on in there

portland oregon...

also come to think of it the lady may have been geting a free angel at the time....

im not trying to bash all petsmarts.... infact this one has some good fish and verry good tank prices so its not even all bad... theres just some bad eggs at this store (and other petshops) that leave me thinking "................wtf?..............."

the goldfish thing bugs me too.....

What annoys me sometimes is that pets at home sells 4.5 litre tanks for goldfish. It has a net, gravel, a fakeplant and food and is £10. THink how much profit they're making. IMO, all they have to do to make it a tiiiny bit better for fish is to include a very cheap heater and call it a betta bowl. THey'd still make an awful lot of profit, I mean the bowl on its own is £5 there and £1.35 in Wilkinsons. They are such hippocrytes though, they say golfish (the smallest fancy variety they do) grow to 18 cm. For hells sake, the tank is only a bit bigger than that in diameter!

Even the so called fish companies are full of crap, that one brand of tank most people get (can't think of the name) has a 2.5 gallon tank kit for sale, and just being curious as to the price I turned it around and saw that they have pistures of suggested fish that are perfect for the tank. The fish they had listed were....

Tiger Barbs, Common Goldfish, Tetras of different kinds, and get this, I don't even think there was a picture of a betta on it! Like they have all these other fish on there that are just wrong for in there, and then they don't even show the one fish that could do pretty decent in the tank (I realize there is supposed to be this big fight going on about bettas tank size, but I don't know about it, haven't read it, and don't care for the moment. Which isn't to say I think they should live in cups, but I digress). These people are supposed to be knowledgable about fish, and then they do something stupid like that!! No wonder everyone doesn't know what the hell to believe!

:lol:
Even the so called fish companies are full of crap, that one brand of tank most people get (can't think of the name) has a 2.5 gallon tank kit for sale, and just being curious as to the price I turned it around and saw that they have pistures of suggested fish that are perfect for the tank. The fish they had listed were....

im looking at a "topfin" box with a 1g bowl with no heater and 3 platys in the pic.... things like this help prepetuate the myth that fish keeping is just fish+water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back