Petco Cycling Seminar

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that
Reaction score
At my local petco there's going to be a cycling seminar from 2-3 pm on may 19th. I'll be going just to see what they say and chime in if they say anything wrong. Just wanted to know if other petco's are doing this and if your going to go. I think it'll be interesting to see what they say considering one of the workers told me to cycle run the filter for 24 hours then put in some fish then 1 week later it's cycled magically.

What are your thoughts?

Oh that's interesting. You should go! I will call my store tomorrow and see if they are doing it. The good thing is that out of all of my local stores, the employees at my petco all love fish keeping and do a good amount of research. They don't know everything, but they give out mature media and order in plants on request if their list has it.

I would go and chime in anywhere important, but be prepared. If you just throw information out there without backing it up, it won't be as effective. No one will listen to advice given from a stranger when the employees are saying something different. The employees can be wrong all day, but the have credibility from working there...earned or not. Just have a few references with you including this forum.

Yeah I'm definately going and I'll have all my knowledge about the nitrogen cycle all ready. If I mention the forum we may get lots of newcomers that day!!! :) apparently the first 30 mins are freshwater cycling and the last 30 are saltwater. I didn't know you had to cycle a salt tank? I thought you just threw in some live rock in the sump and boom it was ready!

Me too! :) I am always talking to the employees there openly and it's been with good results so far. They are semi-beginners too though, so they know about cycling but not much else.

opps. me too...about the being prepared and the forum newcomers :shifty:

Yeah I'm definately going and I'll have all my knowledge about the nitrogen cycle all ready. If I mention the forum we may get lots of newcomers that day!!! :) apparently the first 30 mins are freshwater cycling and the last 30 are saltwater. I didn't know you had to cycle a salt tank? I thought you just threw in some live rock in the sump and boom it was ready!

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that live rock acts as a biological filter, while the sump is mechanical. I could be wrong though, I'm not very well versed in marine fishkeeping.

Live rock is something used by a salt water tank. As far as I know, there is nothing equivalent in a fresh water tank.

Most reactions

Back