pet of the month discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
the rate you're going at you'll get a title before the month is over anyway. Anyway lets keep this post on topic.

Rules can be good. Obviously, there's confusion amongst members as to what should and should nto be allowed into this fun little competiton. But by setting down a a few simple rules, there won't be any confusion in the future, and the competition can stay a fun little event here.

We could easily make the rule that the picture must be of eitehr your pet or of a family member or close friends pet, leaving it open to those who don't have pets of their own and just live vicariously through others ;) . Because there's nothing that states it has to be your own, that's where the confusion comes in. Some interpret it to mean it must be your own pet, some see it as being any pet is okay, as long as the picture is yours and not just off the web.

If you have some ideas for some simple rules that will help make it clear, but will still keep the competition simple and fun, lets hear it. Angel Lady works really hard each month to get all those nominations sorted out and make sure everyone's nominated pets make into the competitions, and to keep the compettion going. So suggestions would be welcomed I supposed.

personally i think as long as you took the picture then it doesnt matter if its your pet or not.
i didnt see anything wrong either with posting the pics of the donkeys and someone wanting to nominate one. i liked one of the pics of the donkey with its eyes shut. after all they are still someones pet, even if it lives in a field and not in a house. or should that be a rule too :S

Personally I just like seeing the photos, I don't really care who's pet it is. I don't understand the fuss, it all seems a bit ungrateful to me.
I do think the pets should actually be living animals and it did annoy me to see a robotic dog get more votes than some truly gorgeous pets.

I also think it's just a bit of fun and although my kitten was nominated I don't mind if she doesn't get any votes, just having people nominate her made my day.
Who cares what your title is? It's cool that they give you a prize but it isn't going to adversely affect your life if you don't get it.

Surely you must have more important things to worry about so stop complaining. Angel lady does a fab job, either say thank you or shut up!

All I want is to keep this fun and also keep the competition going without confusion. I am open to any ideals when it comes to the rules. Then I will go over them and see what makes since. I will also talk to William about the prize. Where they are more people in the contest mabey he will give us a banners that says POTM winner like the fish contest..I am not making any promises but I will ask.. Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is all I wanted is to have a small competition for people show off thier pets. But I dont want all this debate..

I just want to know why many of the pets in the July nomination thread didn't make it over to the July thread where people are voting?

SRC - Angel Lady said this in the beginning of the thread:

This is going to have two seperate heats. So I will let this one run for 10 days and the other one will run for 10 days. And the final heat will run the remaining time in the month of August...

So I expect that's why some of the Pets didn't appear in that poll. :)

I can see where people that think it should be your pet are coming from. Especially if they really want their pet to win.

I have 3 nominations this month. While I appreciate every one of the nominations, one of the pets isn't mine, she is my cousin's. I clearly stated in the thread that she wasn't my dog. I also openly offered not to enter her in the competition. Nobody suggested to me that I shouldn't so I did.

I did not post any of these pictures hoping for a nomination. I just got a new camera and I like taking pictures. It would be nice to win, but I fully expect to be beaten by other people. There are some really great quality pictures this month, and I am sure mine don't compare.

I can sense that if the picture of my cousin's dog won(which it most certainly won't, there are WAY better pictures out there)there would be a lot of animosity coming from some members of this board. Because that is also starting to happen with Puffer Freak's very small lead ATM(GO KAYLEE!) I feel that perhaps it is in the best interest of the competition to have a rule stating that the person posting the picture has to own the pet and either they or someone they know took the picture.

I don't view this competition as a competition between whose pet is the cutest. To me it is about the quality of the picture, not the quality of the pet. I personally do not like rodents, but if a picture of a rat was the best quality picture, I would have to vote for it. By quality I mean how the picture was taken, from what angle, the pose caught, etc...

This competition has grown at an alarming rate. I really hope we can keep it in good fun, and that we won't have to see it shut down like the other OTM competitions.

On a related note, I have noticed that a lot of the photo's posted are nominated. While that is nice, perhaps limiting how many times one can enter the contest. Or like someone else said, one picture of one pet per month. If more than one picture is nominated, the person nominated can decide what picture to enter in the competition. I enjoy posting pictures of my cats, they are my babies, but it seems every time I do, at least one of the pictures is nominated. I hesitate to post new pictures, because I feel it would be unfair for me to have so many nominations in a month. It makes it appear that I have a greater chance of winning, and I personally don't like that. I want the competition to be fair for everyone.

If that is one thing that everone wants then we will do that limit it to one pet per contest. But I still say that it doesnt have to be the owner of the pet. I will stick by that one..So please keep the suggestions comming and I did pm william about the prize. So I will get back to that issue later..Thanks everyone for your opinions so far..

Annastasia said:
SRC - Angel Lady said this in the beginning of the thread:

This is going to have two seperate heats. So I will let this one run for 10 days and the other one will run for 10 days. And the final heat will run the remaining time in the month of August...

So I expect that's why some of the Pets didn't appear in that poll. :)
[snapback]859966[/snapback]​

Thank you...there is so much to read I must have over looked that.

If that is one thing that everone wants then we will do that limit it to one pet per contest. But I still say that it doesnt have to be the owner of the pet. I will stick by that one..So please keep the suggestions comming and I did pm william about the prize. So I will get back to that issue later..Thanks everyone for your opinions so far..

I believe it was bloozoo that said one picture per pet, so if you have 2 different pets nominated then they can both be up for votes, but only 1 pic. I prefer that to only one entry per person. That's just my 2 cents.

before reading through this thread i completely agreed with bloozoo when she brought up that it should be your pet...however, after reading it, i can see both sides and i don't see a problem with posting someone elses pet that is close to you - BUT that is what led to the demise of TOTM - people posting pictures of tanks that weren't theirs, so how do we know when it will end?

i agree that there should be a limit to 1 picture of each pet per competition.

i also think that it should be limited to only 1 or 2 of your pets per competition max, not the 3 and 4 entries that we are seeing per person now...if another one of their pets is nominated, they can just enter it in next months competition if they still want to.

as for the title, i find it ridiculous that that is all you are interested in, wwestar, and i will outright state that you will NOT be getting my vote because you 1) took the pictures begging for a POTM nomination, 2) only want to be part of it to get a title, and 3) are arguing your side on behalf of your greed..i know you won't CARE that you don't get my vote, but i wanted to put that out inthe open....

big deal, you get a title...i am very happy that my cat won POTM, but i think i will refrain from changing my title until i reach the post limit - if i will even change it then, i don't know...

it should be about showcasing beautful animals of all different kinds, not about winning a prize...

so let's stop the bickering and keep it going strong...but we must also keep an eye out for abuse...we don't want pictures of a friends, aunts, sisters, grandmas dog or competition winning dogs to start popping up in the compeitition..

I've refrained from posting in this thread, as I *do not* (contrary to some belief) want to pick a fight. I've said what I wanted to say so there is little point in reiterating it again. However, I do have a "problem" with the Aibo being in the POTM competition and it does indeed make a mockery of the competition.

I sent a private pm to Angel Lady about this (not to seem petty and air it to all) however she said I should post in this thread. So this is what I wrote and stand by it:

Hi Angel Lady

I don't wish to cause a fight, but running a competition this large now needs a set of rules.

I also think it's unrealistic and would be entirely unfair to have a piece of metal (the Aibo) in Pet of the Month. That's akin to having a plastic pretend play tank in a Tank of the Month competition.

I know it's a fun and light-hearted competition, but all competitions of size have to run by stronger guidelines. And if you'd like to take my two pets out of this months competition (for being difficult or seeming to be competitive and wanting to win), then I will honesty have no problem with it at all. But if I really wanted to "win" I'd shut up and be nice to everyone. So it's no big deal to me.

Again, sorry if this is making life difficult.

Regards

and for those who have not seen what I posted previously (in yesterday’s July POTM thread) here it is:

Angel Lady, I don’t want to cause any conflict or aggro or seem pedantic - BUT I do think going forward, there should be some rules – especially as this now seems to be a huge competition.
This competition is for Pet of the Month right ?

It's not called "Any animal / object" that belongs to who knows who or no one even.

In my opinion I think it’s only fair that the pet nominated, belongs to the poster and the poster took the picture. As I said before, if not, then I may as well post pictures of “my” lions, rhino's and zebras etc. to get nominated. Or it’s like having a "Betta of the month" competition and a wild catfish in some river gets nominated.
It makes a mockery of what the (yes I know it’s light-hearted & fun) competition is meant to be.

I also think it should only be one picture per month per pet (I see there are two of the same animal this month) – this has now become a huge competition and nominations seem to be awarded to just about every single picture that gets posted.
What’s the point in that ? 

I don’t want to turn this into a huge thing, but there needs to be some firm guidelines – not just something wishy washy.

That all I have to say on the subject - I'm not going to nit pick anyone else’s comments and I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back