Peridot in Basalt

Featheryfish

Reaction score
Hi y'all. :kana:

I was digging around in the family rock hoard for something that might be safe and attractive in an aquarium.

I found some nice pieces of quartz, but decided on close inspection that they probably have stripes of iron rust in them, so they're out. There is some plain milky and rose quartz but it's kinda boring.

Now I'm examining some chunks of peridot (olivine) in basalt. I know the basalt is inert, but I'm not sure about the peridot. I know that the green color of the crystals comes from magnesium and iron, but if google is being honest today, it's also inert?

I'd feel better, though, if I could know for sure that someone else in the world has had peridot/olivine in their aquarium before to no ill effect. I just ID and collect rocks, geochem is not my thing.

If I am good to go, what's your favorite way to sterilize rocks safely? Last thing I need is an exploded rock shard in my eye. o_O

As long as you don’t boil the rock (The only reason people to do, this to get any tiny particles and/or insects out of the small holes) then you should be fine. Definitely don’t boil “holy” rocks (aka lava rocks) because they will and can explode. :)

For me I just give it a Super good scrub (no soap or bleach) and then It soak for 2 weeks, (just to be safe). Now it’s alright to scrub it more than once! So scrub, scrub, scrub! :lol:

As long as you don’t boil the rock (The only reason people to do, this to get any tiny particles and/or insects out of the small holes) then you should be fine. Definitely don’t boil “holy” rocks (aka lava rocks) because they will and can explode. :)

For me I just give it a Super good scrub (no soap or bleach) and then It soak for 2 weeks, (just to be safe). Now it’s alright to scrub it more than once! So scrub, scrub, scrub! :lol:

Thanks, these are slightly holey so I will definitely not boil them then. Woohoo scrubbing! :-

Yes, scrub, scrub, scrub! :lol:

IMO, there is no such thing as a “rock” factory. It’s not like aquarium companies “create” rocks, they get them from outside, and then super clean them, package them up, and sell them.

Gravel is essentially small crushed rocks, that are then painted. So any rock is safe, as long as you did the “Vinegar Test”. (Just poor a little Vinegar on the rock, if it fizzes, it will raise your ph, and is not safe. If it doesn’t fizz, then it is safe.) :)

Not all gravel is painted. Brown/beige gravel is not. Only neon pink type of gravel is painted - though that also includes black as well as neon pink.

Yes, scrub, scrub, scrub! :lol:

IMO, there is no such thing as a “rock” factory. It’s not like aquarium companies “create” rocks, they get them from outside, and then super clean them, package them up, and sell them.

Gravel is essentially small crushed rocks, that are then painted. So any rock is safe, as long as you did the “Vinegar Test”. (Just poor a little Vinegar on the rock, if it fizzes, it will raise your ph, and is not safe. If it doesn’t fizz, then it is safe.) :)

Ha yeah, I'm not paying for special "aquarium rocks" when I already have thousands of assorted rocks on hand. I wasn't going to pay for specially marketed aquarium gravel either - I went to Tractor Supply Co and got 100 pounds of Black Diamond blasting sand for $18. I spent a whole day rinsing it, but it's inert and it looks great.

I almost always have a gallon of white vinegar around the house, but I just used up the last of it cleaning aquarium stuff... should have saved a couple drops, lol.

I hope you are not going to use the blasting sand in a tank with any bottom dwellers.

I refer you to post #9 in this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/sand-size-for-pygmy-corys.450855/#post-3809255 and post #41 in this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-for-the-upper-half.449107/page-3#post-3797152

I don't have any bottom dwellers, but even if I did, it isn't sharp. I made sure I could stick my bare babysoft wussy hands into a bucket of it and mash/scrape/rub it around without injury. I also inspected each small batch I was rinsing visually and with a magnet, just in case. It's heavy yet fine and silky.

I even accidentally dragged some a ways across the tank glass while placing it and it didn't leave the slightest scratch. *sigh of relief*

I don't necessarily disbelieve that some people have gotten sharp batches, I haven't seen every bag of the stuff in the world, but what I got is no more abrasive than any other sand I've handled in my life. The abrasion is caused by the force of blasting it out at high speed, not some special sharp edginess of the sand. The reason ordinary play sand is not typically used for blasting is because it contains particulates that can damage workers' lungs, and may not be packaged dry enough to not clog the blaster.

I did spend a few days researching the safety of it, and the warnings about it seem to be based on little more than hearsay and rumors from years past. I found a hundred plus examples of people using it to great success even with bottom dwelling and digging fish like cichlids. Again, though, I don't want to de-validate anyone's experience because I'm sure the batches could vary. There are different grain sizes sold, as well.

Personally, I think it's more likely that once upon a time, someone had their corys' barbels erode due to poor water quality or disease, and then they blamed it on their sand. I didn't come across any firsthand or even secondhand accounts of harm to fish.

I don't mean to rant, but I think it's a shame more people aren't taking advantage of this cheap sand due to what may be mere internet legend or being spooked by the word "abrasive." It's very attractive and pleasant to work with.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back