Peppermint Shrimp And Companions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
From what I understand it seems to matter who was there first, the shrimp or the wrasse. If the wrasse is first they seem to go after the shrimp, if the shrimp was first they tend to leave it alone. Though this is pure speculation I have a theory about this...many wrasse exhibit cleaning behavior so they may see the shrimp as a competitor.

From what I understand it seems to matter who was there first, the shrimp or the wrasse. If the wrasse is first they seem to go after the shrimp, if the shrimp was first they tend to leave it alone. Though this is pure speculation I have a theory about this...many wrasse exhibit cleaning behavior so they may see the shrimp as a competitor.

Perhaps its certain species as well. I added shrimp after the wrasse I have and no issues. I think I have nailed it down though. A yellow tail damsel(I think I read somewhere they host, midas blenny and an algae eating blenny most likely a lawnmower. I was going to opt for a bangai cardinal, but they prefer groups and less boisterous tankmates.

It's for sure species dependant. For example some wrasse like the flahsers and fairy wrasse don't go after the shrimp at all. I tend to do my research before bringing any wrasse into my home. They also eat worms and my feather duster is a target.

It's for sure species dependant. For example some wrasse like the flahsers and fairy wrasse don't go after the shrimp at all. I tend to do my research before bringing any wrasse into my home. They also eat worms and my feather duster is a target.

I do as well I don't like anything that will bite me or kill any other tank members that I don't want. like my isopods or britsleworms.

I do as well I don't like anything that will bite me or kill any other tank members that I don't want. like my isopods or britsleworms.
I agree. I have a purple dottyback that I just put in a couple of days ago and he's a hunter! He's eyeballing little worms and pods...but...that's one of the reasons I have a sump with cheato in it so these things can grow without predation.

I agree. I have a purple dottyback that I just put in a couple of days ago and he's a hunter! He's eyeballing little worms and pods...but...that's one of the reasons I have a sump with cheato in it so these things can grow without predation.

purple dottyback was my least favorite marine fish I've kept. Was pretty territorial, but the thing that did it in was I turned of the powerheads to feed and waited for about 10 minutes (so the hermits could get a shot because I had 10 at the time.) and I hear the power head sputter and out flies a very badly beaten dottyback. It died days later. Needless to say I wasn't too heartbroken. It was a really pretty fish but was a total @$$hole.

Do you have any pictures of your tank for us?

I can but im currently fighting a sever hair algae and aiptasia outbreak hopefully getting more powerful and more reliable powerheads and an ro unit this week. I also want a phosphate reactor and a skimmer. i would get a sump as well but i dont have the room. I actually move fairly frequently and am about 75% sure that i am moving again in a year. so the faster i can set my tank back up the better.

I can but im currently fighting a sever hair algae and aiptasia outbreak hopefully getting more powerful and more reliable powerheads and an ro unit this week. I also want a phosphate reactor and a skimmer. i would get a sump as well but i dont have the room. I actually move fairly frequently and am about 75% sure that i am moving again in a year. so the faster i can set my tank back up the better.

What are you currently doing to fight it? Do you have a canister or other power filter on the tank?

What are you currently doing to fight it? Do you have a canister or other power filter on the tank?

Canister no I gave my canister to my cousin with a spare tank I had 3 months ago. I'm running a biowheel model with reef rubble, ceramic noodles and activated carbon. I also scaled back on feeding and am manually removing some of the hair algae. I tried that with the aiptasia and you look at one too hard and it multiplies.

I'm running a biowheel model with reef rubble, ceramic noodles
That is the source of the nitrates. Such filters actually produce nitrates. If you have a proper amount of live rock that's the only filtration you need. It also has anerobic zones that allow bacteria to grow that can convert the nitrates to gaseous form which allows it to leave the tank entirely. You may have heard of it, it's called the Berlin method.

I'm running a biowheel model with reef rubble, ceramic noodles
That is the source of the nitrates. Such filters actually produce nitrates. If you have a proper amount of live rock that's the only filtration you need. It also has anerobic zones that allow bacteria to grow that can convert the nitrates to gaseous form which allows it to leave the tank entirely. You may have heard of it, it's called the Berlin method.

Dont think so I've only been running it a couple weeks tops.

It's actually what they do. They provide surface area for arobic bacteria which turn waste into nitrate.

It's actually what they do. They provide surface area for arobic bacteria which turn waste into nitrate.

I'm not arguing. I was just letting you know running that filter happened long after the algae outbreak. I will have the new powerheads this weekend and the biowheel can be put back on the shelf.

Oh, I didn't think you were arguing. :) I just think biowheels and canisters on marine tanks are evil. ;)

I'm not arguing. I was just letting you know running that filter happened long after the algae outbreak. I will have the new powerheads this weekend and the biowheel can be put back on the shelf.

Oh, I didn't think you were arguing. :) I just think biowheels and canisters on marine tanks are evil. ;)

Yikes I got moderated! I just found out today you can mod maxijet style powerheads for more flow. They are really moving the water around now. I really need to beef up my cleanup crew as well. The main reason I was using the hob was to get surface agitation before monday it was media free. What's the word on using them for hospital tanks. I've learned the hard way about quarantining. I think I should start doing the same with corals as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back