Peppermint Shrimp And Companions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a beautiful fish. I can see why you like it.

I am absolutely a wrasse man as far as having a reef tank goes. I like active colorful fish and these guys have both in spades. The only fish I have right now are him and a purple firefish. It only occupies about 6 inches of the tank. So its not the greatest, but its striking and kind of odd looking. The other fish I would like to keep are leopard wrasse, flame angel, midas blenny(my last got stung by a apitasia and lost sight in one of its eyes and didn't make it.) Resplendent and bartlett Anthias, Speculum Butterflyfish, Orangespotted Filefish, most tangs and triggerfish and the big one the harliquin tusk.

But most of those are too big or incompatible with my tank so I'll just keep dreaming. I'm 27 now so I have a decade or two left to either decide they arent for me or get mts. :)

Sounds like you have some narrowing down to do!
Some of those fish aren't compatible with many coral types so be sure to research that once you narrow it down. Of course if you don't plan on corals that doesn't matter.

Sounds like you have some narrowing down to do!
Some of those fish aren't compatible with many coral types so be sure to research that once you narrow it down. Of course if you don't plan on corals that doesn't matter.

Yeah I plan on having coral thats why it narrows it down so much. I plan on getting the blenny, and probably two other fish. I really want the angel, but those can go either way I also really like clown and cardinals but they are pretty stationary.

I'm a big fan of A. ocellaris clowns but they aren't dither fish for sure. I probably asked this...but how big is the tank?

I'm a big fan of A. ocellaris clowns but they aren't dither fish for sure. I probably asked this...but how big is the tank?

55 gallon
That's right...I'm sleepy...anyway...yellow tail blue damsels are an acceptable damsel, reef safe, and good dither fish. I have three in my tank and really like them. Unlike other damsel they are not beasts.

55 gallon
That's right...I'm sleepy...anyway...yellow tail blue damsels are an acceptable damsel, reef safe, and good dither fish. I have three in my tank and really like them. Unlike other damsel they are not beasts.

I've never had a fish in that family that wasn't a clown. Everyone calls them overly aggressive and not very attractive fish. Are they known to be biters as well?

While many, if not most, damsels are mean and often change color to something drab and ugly when they mature the yellow tail stays the same color and has a good temperament. There are a few damsel species like this. They do like to have their own territory and will chase other damsels out of it but unlike some species the aggression is minimal and amounts to just some flashing and darting. My three are spread out and will even shoal when spooked.

While many, if not most, damsels are mean and often change color to something drab and ugly when they mature the yellow tail stays the same color and has a good temperament. There are a few damsel species like this. They do like to have their own territory and will chase other damsels out of it but unlike some species the aggression is minimal and amounts to just some flashing and darting. My three are spread out and will even shoal when spooked.

Ok I think I'm going to add a midas blenny he did well last time until the aiptasia, a yellowtail damsel(because clownfish don't come in blue),and either a basslet(everytime I add a gramma something bad happens) of some type or a flame angel. I know the flame angels are iffy in reef tanks but I've gotten various different responses on if they nip polyps or not. Seems most only do it when underfed.

Ok I think I'm going to add a midas blenny he did well last time until the aiptasia, a yellowtail damsel(because clownfish don't come in blue),and either a basslet(everytime I add a gramma something bad happens) of some type or a flame angel. I know the flame angels are iffy in reef tanks but I've gotten various different responses on if they nip polyps or not. Seems most only do it when underfed.

I like the midas. I have a bicolor blenny right now but have had other blenny and really like them as a species. As far as angels I've heard that the cherubs and coral beauties seem to do well and have heard from quite a few people who have the flame. From what they say the danger is mostly to LPS.

I like the midas. I have a bicolor blenny right now but have had other blenny and really like them as a species. As far as angels I've heard that the cherubs and coral beauties seem to do well and have heard from quite a few people who have the flame. From what they say the danger is mostly to LPS.

I want lps again so thats a no go. Might just get another wrasse. Really want the leopard but they are above my level.

I have a male Lubbock's wrasse that I really love.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+376&pcatid=376

I have a male Lubbock's wrasse that I really love.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+376&pcatid=376

If I do it correctly I can have one of these. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+355&pcatid=355

Yes, actually I consider that a beginner wrasse. Again, they may go after your shrimp, not so much your cleaner shrimp but if you have small sexy shrimp like I do. They need a nice sandy bottom as they will hide in it sometimes. For me this is one of the most beautiful wrasse we can buy.

Yes, actually I consider that a beginner wrasse. Again, they may go after your shrimp, not so much your cleaner shrimp but if you have small sexy shrimp like I do. They need a nice sandy bottom as they will hide in it sometimes. For me this is one of the most beautiful wrasse we can buy.

I don't plan on keeping any really small shrimp. I've had my current wrasse for about 10 months and he hasnt snapped at any shrimp but I have seen mysterys going for peppermint shrimp if you just drop them in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back