Pennywort roots

The Big Figfetti

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it normal for pennywort to grow with all these roots at every split? Is this a sign that the tank is in need of some sort of nutrient?
I really dislike the look and just decided to shove the whole thing behind the side rocks so I donā€™t have to see the big messy tangled portions.
I donā€™t mind if they stay small, but the older growth has gotten really long and tangly.

Iā€™ve seen some really pretty pennywort that grows horizontally in tanks, and would love to know how to get that look.

Attachments

• 84B68694-52D5-4645-ADC9-FC6699D1ECDF.jpeg
    84B68694-52D5-4645-ADC9-FC6699D1ECDF.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 57218C05-2763-41E9-83DF-C133337D1CB6.jpeg
    57218C05-2763-41E9-83DF-C133337D1CB6.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 25
Yes. Stem plants grow in stems toward the strongest light. Each node may have a leaf (or more than one depending upon species) and roots. This is why you can cut the stem anywhere, and plant the cut end. Sometimes the plant stem will divide at the cut point, sometimes not.

If the stem is left solely floating on the surface, the leaves will all be face-up to the light/air, and the roots will grow downward as with any floating plant. I particularly like this plant when grown floating.

Yes. Stem plants grow in stems toward the strongest light. Each node may have a leaf (or more than one depending upon species) and roots. This is why you can cut the stem anywhere, and plant the cut end. Sometimes the plant stem will divide at the cut point, sometimes not.

If the stem is left solely floating on the surface, the leaves will all be face-up to the light/air, and the roots will grow downward as with any floating plant. I particularly like this plant when grown floating.
Thank you.
Would it hurt the plant if I cut these long roots back, much shorter?
I like the way the pads/leaves look, mid tank, floating. Just donā€™t want the roots taking center stage.

Thank you.
Would it hurt the plant if I cut these long roots back, much shorter?
I like the way the pads/leaves look, mid tank, floating. Just donā€™t want the roots taking center stage.

I suspect the plant will compensate by growing more roots. They are there for a purpose, and a necessary one.

Most reactions

Back