Peat moss to soften water and lower pH

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

YngUrbanCMH

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Columbus, OH - USA (give a yank a break will ya')
My ph is a bit high on my community tank, somewhere between 7.6 and 7.8. It doesn't seem to be bothering my fish too much, but my plants aren't dealing well and I'd like to add some fishies with lower pH requirements.

I've heard that using peat is a great way to do it as it's a more gradual change... and I'm a huge fan of less chemicals! I was going to buy peat moss at a gardening store, but instead opted to buy peat made for a Hagen Fluval cannister filter. I have an AquaClear 300 HOT power filter on a 30 gal, but have a few nylon media bags. The person at my lfs suggested putting 1/3 of the package in, and putting it at the very top of the filter. I tested my pH this morning and it's still the same (guess I should be glad it didn't drastically change it!), and I expected the water to take on a brownish tint which isn't really noticable.

Do I need to add more peat, or just be a bit more patient :S
Thanks a bunch!

I think you need to be much more patient with this one m8 ;)

With this sort of thing the only way is going to be experience to see how the product affects your water..... - the slower the better...

Possible problems will be that if you have to do a large water change the water you add will be of a much higher pH and may well stress the fish... :/ - unless you prepare it first....

What fish are you thinking of keeping? imho its best to keep fish that suit your local water .... - and most hobyist fish are acclimatised to the water at your lfs and so should also be fine in your tank - check with the lfs to see what their water conditions are like :)

:)

I would also suggest you check with you LFS to compare water chemistry. Fiddling with you water chem can be tricky stuff.

If you do decide to use it, I recoimmend you treat the water before you add it to the aquarium. Buy a KH and pH test kit to test your water before and after treatment. Keep you KH stable!

I have had a bit of experience with peat and have written a page on it that you will find useful:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/pea...eat%20page.html

Most reactions

Back